clutch choice for 408

-

2doorswinger

Reaction score
Hey guys, , when I was using my 340 I was using a stock style pressure plate and and clutch. Now, I'm moving up to a 408 408 with between 450 and 500 horse, what clutch and and pressure plate can I use to hold the little extra horsepower? Can I use the stock style pressure plate and and a different clutch disk or is it better to just buy a new kit? If so, what kit should i be using? What clutch kit is cost effective but will still hold the horsepower? Thanks FABO.

I have a mccleod 100 series clutch and pressure plate, from passon performance. It's taken alot of abuse no complaints, I would buy the same one again. Had a centerforce in it, chattered like crazy.

My 408 was around 490 horse - I used a centerforce dual friction clutch kit (pressure plate and friction disc). It worked great, I would recommend it. It is a diaphragm style so you can loose the stiff over center spring and the pedal forces are lower.

What kind of price range are theae clutches? Looking for fost effective but will hold. Thanks.

here's a few eBay choices:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130699384897?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
PRO-SERIES BILLET CLUTCH 1500-HP HEMI 4-SPEED 1-3/16 x 18; 130T FLY, 6 BOLT CRNK
1500-HP Rated Drag Race Clutch - Single Disc

Dual / Triple Disc Available Up to 3000-HP

Pro Series I - Aluminum Flywheel Integrated w/ Clutch Assembly

McLeod Racing and Boninfante Friction have joined forces to create the ultimate 10” street clutch for the ultra-high horsepower cars from 800 to 1,500 horsepower. This is a fully CNC-machined 6061 T-6 aluminum construction utilizing the latest in high performance drag racing technology.

Easily handles cars with 800-1,500 horsepower in a single disc configuration.
Fully red anodized 6061 T-6 Billet Aluminum construction
Fully adjustable spring pressure, adjustable stands and counter-weighted levers
Choice of sintered iron or metallic discs
Complete, includes ARP hardware, pre-set height gauge and weight kit
Street or Strip Capability.

Application: DODGE,PLYMOUTH 1961-1978 V8 318,330,340,360,383,400,440 ; 130T R/G 0BAL 6-BOLT CRANK 1-3/16 x 18 INPUT
---------------------------------------------------------------------
McLEOD RXT TWIN DISC CLUTCH MoPar 23-SPLINE HEMI 4-SPEED - SMALL FLYWHEEL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120722121437?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

RXT Twin Disc

Rated to handle 1000 horsepower with pedal effort similar to stock.

The RXT Street Twin clutch kit is an ideal clutch for the extreme horsepower street enthusiast with an economically priced clutch kit. Able to hold up to 1000hp, the extreme version of the RST clutch kit is for those who have kicked it up another notch and are still streetable. Ceramic facings on the clutch discs provide slightly aggressive engagement with a soft pedal effort will make this clutch suitable for most street performance enthusiast. Kit includes: Pressure Plate, two ceramic friction discs, floater plate, adapter ring & pilot tool.

Application: MOPAR V8 ; Use w/ Small Diameter 130 Tooth Flywheel. 1 x 23 Input
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
McLEOD RXT TWIN DISC CLUTCH 18-SPL HEMI 4-SPD 143T FLY

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=297932

RXT Twin Disc

Rated to handle 1000 horsepower with pedal effort similar to stock.

The RXT Street Twin clutch kit is an ideal clutch for the extreme horsepower street enthusiast with an economically priced clutch kit. Able to hold up to 1000hp, the extreme version of the RST clutch kit is for those who have kicked it up another notch and are still streetable. Ceramic facings on the clutch discs provide slightly aggressive engagement with a soft pedal effort will make this clutch suitable for most street performance enthusiast. Kit includes: Pressure Plate, two ceramic friction discs, floater plate, adapter ring & pilot tool.

Application: MOPAR; Use with 143T Flywheel. 1-3/16 x 18 Input

-
Back