Clutch for 66 Barracuda Formula S

-

jimb66

Reaction score
Been struggling for years to find a good clutch for my 66 Barracuda Formula S. Currently using a 10" clutch from a 1969 Plymouth Fury on my original 66 Cuda flywheel but it requires the addition of three springs going from nine to twelve springs (to get necessary clutch pressure) and the finger adjustment is difficult to get right. Any one have recommendation for a good clutch?

Get a bigger bell housing for a 10.5 inch clutch then your options are bigger, or
get a custom made unit from a clutch specialty manufacturer.

The little clutch behind the 273 has always been a weak point. I remember in 1970 or so the hot setup was the Weber clutch and I almost bought one for my 67....but it was 3 weeks pay.

If it's not a 100% resto, I'd source a 10.5 318/340 bellhousing and flywheel as already suggested by 66jim.

I agree with 66jim in that you check with a couple of specialty clutch companies. In no particular order, you can call any one of these guys and see if they can help. I could be wrong, but with the correct disc, you don't need all that spring load. In fact, I know that. I've run 9 springs in a 12 spring cover many times.

Black Magic Clutches
Hyatt clutches
Advanced Clutches

I think the Advanced Clutches is Rob Youngblood. BMC is Cale Aronson and Hyatt used to be Tim Hyatt but he passed away and I think his son is doing it now.

I'm going with a carbon kevlar disc in my D/Dart. But I have to go with a 10.5 " setup because it has a 360 magnum engine in it. I got the disc from Detroit Clutch Masters.

I was originally planning on putting a straight 10" kevlar disc in it. They are a little pricey and I think they only come in 9.5". I was told a 9.5 disc can be used with a 10" pressure plate.

-
Back