clutch making funny sound

-

amcervantes

Reaction score
My 72 dart is making a funny clutch noise i just started hearing it this morning while i was on my way to work.The clutch is fairly new. I drive it as a daily driver. When you push the clutch in it makes what sounds like a rusty sound similar to when you get rust on your rotors. It only happens when the clutch is in and it isnt realy noticable outside the car but you can deff hear it in the car. It makes the sound when im driving and when its parked if you have the clutch pedal pressed and rev the motor it gets louder. Any help would be appreciated. Also its been raining since friday because of sandy.

my guess is the throw out bearing as the cluth spins free when the bearing is pressing against the pressure place. good news bearing is cheap, bad news pull trans to do. If it was replaced very recently, could be wrong size and touching fixed part on the moving pressure plate, same solution. good luck :)

Sounds to me like the release bearing is going bad.
Did you change it when you did the clutch?
Oh, and welcome to FABO!

I kind of looked at it after lunch everything looked fine theres no ispection plate so the flywheel and clutch are exposed to the elements but both still look very good. I try to avoid any kind of puddles but I had to go through one because of car comming in the opposite direction. Im thinking some of the water splashed on the throw out bearing causing it to rust. I was hopeing to make it to tax time so i could swap it for a 727. Do you think I can make it till then.

any damage is done, worse case would be the bearing will wear out the plate. usually you will (should)replace both any way so don't worry till it bites the dust. just be ready for a long walk and keep track of where you are so you can call a bro for a ride. seen them last 3 days, 10 months, and not long enough to drive to the garage.

tks Mike

Yeah it had the whole clutch kit replaced prob 1000 miles ago from previous owner but then again it just sat in his shop for 3 years and not driven much.People think im crazy cause I drive it everyday. Hopefully it lasts till Dec. Moving to TX for a job and plan on restoring this baby. Ild rather not put any money in the trans seeing Im pulling it for a auto in Jan but if I have to then I have to. Just got alot of on my plate with packing and working not any real free time to do it right now.

-
Back