Clutch Pedal Doesn't Snap Back

-

srduster340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a hydraulic release bearing in my '71 Duster with 833 trans. The release bearing similar to the blue Hydramax that American Powertrain sells with their kits. I have the braided lines, 3/4" bore master cylinder. My issue is, the clutch pedal doesn't "snap back", preventing me from doing power shifts or quick shifts you'd want when racing. Doesn't slip or grind any gears. I had the clutch disc & pressure plate made locally. Works well otherwise. I'm lost as to what it could be. Overcenter spring has been removed. Any ideas?

That "snap back" is one of the functions of the over-center spring.

Spitballing:
I'm wondering whether a lighter OC spring would do the trick--pulling the pedal back after the center point while allowing the return force of the clutch to push the pedal far enough for that to happen. It would certainly require experimentation to find a workable solution (if there is one).
The other option would be configuring a simple return-only spring on the pedal itself rather than using the factory OC spring peg. You'd probably want to be higher on the pedal and use a relatively short spring in that case. It just needs to pull the pedal back, so it certainly wouldn't need to be a monster.

IDK the solution.
But my thinking is that if you pull the pedal back, from the top, it seems to me that is an unusual action for the hydraulics to perform.
Ima thinking more along the lines of pulling the TO fork back off the fingers. The factory had an anti-rattle spring down at the BH to do that, but you might need to upgrade it to a more powerful item.
And yes I would re-install the LD Over-center spring.
If you still have a problem, you may have to check the port sizes in the master or look for restrictions in the lines.
Also check your clutch departure, to make sure you don't have an excessive amount. .080 is plenty. You can run less so long as it doesn't grind on the shift from Neutral, into First. You should be able to control that with your left foot, And you DO NOT have to pedal it to the floor; you only pedal the clutch until the synchros are able to perform their job.
Well except for reverse which has no synchro. lol.

A diaphram clutch made locally by a company that's been in business for over 50 years or so.
I'm really surprised that you're having the problem with the pedal return. I got nothing except to add a lighter return/overcenter spring than stock.

If you have a diaphragm clutch you could be pushing the pressure plate finger past center and overriding the centrifical part of the plate.

My issue is, the clutch pedal doesn't "snap back", preventing me from doing power shifts or quick shifts you'd want when racing.
I never had a hydraulic system so I'm not sure of the system make up. If your mechanical linkage isn't hanging up on return and the OC spring has been removed, I'm thinking it's cylinder/pump related. Piston hanging in the bore? A relief/flow control that can be adjusted in the hydraulic system?

If I rev the engine and "drop" the clutch while standing still, it snaps up instantly. I wonder if my issue is fluid back flow.

Last edited:
I've read in Mopar Action years ago to use a light pressure return spring on the pedal, like a household screen door spring. Hooked to where the over center spring was on the pedal, to a good spot under the dash.

Word on the street is that when using a diaphragm clutch that you remove the OC spring, which is what I did on mine. Although I’m not running a hydraulic, I’m using a Centerforce.!

Word on the street is that when using a diaphragm clutch that you remove the OC spring, which is what I did on mine. Although I’m not running a hydraulic, I’m using a Centerforce.!
I have removed the OC spring. I guess I'll try a light spring on the pedal for a return.

I have removed the OC spring. I guess I'll try a light spring on the pedal for a return.
My clutch does not “snap back” so to speak, but I can easily power shift through the gears with minimal effort, and the clutch is never the problem. Now the bench seat pistol grip? That’s a little more than a handful.

-
Back