clutch

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have not replaced a clutch in 2 decades, and the clutch in the 71 duster, 3 speed car is fine. I have adjusted the linkage but the pedals never comes all the way up, maybe 1/2 the way. Yes it has the big spring on the pedal. What the heck??

Can you take the inspection cover off below and look up inside? I adjust the gap between the throw out bearing and the pressure plate fingers. They shouldn't touch but close is good. I would say 1/8'' or so. I ruined a clutch in my 66 by adjusting the free play and not checking the bearing gap.

Did it used to come all the way up? may be combination of wear and adjustment if it did. or something else moved. I had a nylon torque shaft bushing go bad (broken up and gone), on a b-body and it made my pedal drop considerably. I noticed it by the twist in the torque shaft at the frame mounting ball.

I will check on those things. Hoping it will cool off some and/ mosquitoes thin out!! I bet the t shaft has never had the bushings replaced!!!
I have to remember to ask doc next Tue if my meds make me sweat profusely/ I had a triple bypass this time last year. I can sweat but the high humidity does not help and no wind. But in 10 minutes I am soaked!

That big spring is supposed to bring it back, but it can only do so if it returns to the Non-over centered position. I bet if you give it a little help it will snap back and hit the stopper. If it does then you need to figure out why it's acting like this. The clutch is supposed to initiate this action, but if your TO bearing is too far away from the fingers, perhaps it cannot.

That big spring is supposed to bring it back, but it can only do so if it returns to the Non-over centered position. I bet if you give it a little help it will snap back and hit the stopper. If it does then you need to figure out why it's acting like this. The clutch is supposed to initiate this action, but if your TO bearing is too far away from the fingers, perhaps it cannot.
I just pop it all the way up with my foot when driving. . Clutch engages good, releases good, BUT this duster is just a woreout ole slant TOO!!!

I bought my first Duster in 76, a 1971, all stock 318 3 spd. The clutch pedal was spotty on returning. I added a light spring on the clutch fork of a 5 year old car. Over the years, no matter what clutch I put in, I needed the spring.

I admit to have had many stick mopars over the decades and never taken the pedla assembly apart. I know people talk of bushings, etc, maybe this sucker needs that! This car sat for years before I got it (15-18)...... The spring can't hurt. I will have to check it all out when the weather cools. TODAY's S E Tx forecast. 88 and heat index of 102, NO wind, 150% humidity.

-
Back