Coil Mounting-Vertical-Horizontal?

-

TF360

Reaction score
Any truth to mounting a Coil in a vertical position? Were the factory Coils oil filled like these aftermarket ones. Just picked up a Accell 8140 (yellow) Coil and I'm wondering about positioning

I never knew what original coils were, oil or epoxy filled. I would assume old cars like ours were oil filled. I recently had trouble with an oil filled that was horizontal. I replaced it with an epoxy filled coil. The only Mopar that I know of that was vertical was my 58 Fury 350 engine with 2 four barrels because there was no room to place it horizontally. Probably other multiple carb engines had to place them vertical.

Stock position 69 318
upload_2022-1-5_20-26-58.jpeg

IIRC 60s Ford small block was mostly vertical on the front of the block / head.

My OEM 67 273 coil was mounted in the stock location. And has leaked a tad. You can shake it and hear the oil slosh

Horizontal is fine, seems good to keep terminals horizontal too. That keeps them in oil. A leak at tower is sometimes a loose screw, in tower terminal.

The Accel coil is epoxy, when oil coils failed back in the day, usually when they were hot, we replaced them with an epoxy coil.

-
Back