**Coil Over Conversion with Stock K**

-

Mad Dart

Nothing to see Here!
Reaction score
I will start this one out with some pictures of me changing out the Lower Radiator Support with member " Badart " 's Tubular Support System.

See Here....
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1578055#post1578055

RMS Upper Tubular Control Arms & Their Adjustable Strut Rods will be used along with another part from member " Badart " 's Arsenal. I will be using his Tubular Lower Control Arms.

See Here....
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=171137

There will be forward snout bars that come off the cage under the dash and brought thru the firewall. They will attach to the upper shock tower and be boxed and gusseted to accept the upper shock mount. I will be using QA1 Shocks and QA1 400lb Springs.

I will post as I go and the progress may be slow going because I will be relying on one of my buddy's to help me finish up the cage to tie everything in.

View attachment phpawe9fyPM.jpg

View attachment phpD8wLNpPM.jpg

View attachment phpHmrQo8PM.jpg

View attachment phpiSis0fPM.jpg

View attachment phpgkNC1KPM.jpg

View attachment phpkZX8eVPM.jpg

View attachment phptMl5VsPM.jpg

View attachment phpAgzdlhPM.jpg

View attachment phptnRMacPM.jpg

View attachment phpC2okyLPM.jpg

This above is just tacked in for now. I will be tying in a clean piece of metal at the 2 corners of the support before I weld it all off. I had to make sure that everything was in the clear so I mounted the Radiator and I/C Heat Exchanger. It is straight and square.

Cool Louis,I,m also going to be doing the support bar from John,once I get my car back from paint.Will be watching..

looks good i like that. I have those same radiator supports i got from badart. im thinking of welding them in behind the factory piece you took off, leaving mine on...i dunno if i wanna do the extra work of taking that one off...lol

Cool Louis,I,m also going to be doing the support bar from John,once I get my car back from paint.Will be watching..

Getting it painted, LUCKY!! I know this is your second go around with that. I am sure it will come out great for you!

John makes some good stuff. I should have his Tubular LCA's this week. Gunna try and mock it all up as soon as I can. I tore all the Suspension out Yesterday and finished it up this morning. Man those Upper and Lower Ball Joints were a PITA..... I finally got them though!!

looks good i like that. I have those same radiator supports i got from badart. im thinking of welding them in behind the factory piece you took off, leaving mine on...i dunno if i wanna do the extra work of taking that one off...lol

To drill out the spot welds it only takes a few minutes. I had the stock support on the ground in less than 15 minutes.

If you do that you will need to cut the legs down a bit on both sides so it does not hang lower than the stock assembly. It might look kinda weird if you seen both of them from the front view? Just something to think about is all.

Nice work as usual! Always clean and sanitary. This and the J bars Badart makes are part of my frame/chassis plan as well.

I will be using the same frontend stuff on mine. Please keep them pics coming !

Looks good. Are you going to get BadDart's inner fender braces, too?

Nothing will fit under the hood with all the Turbo stuff. It is as crouded as it can get.
Going to build something off the cage and into the fender well area. See Post #1.

Something like this but I will be adding a 3 Way gusseted bracket that will drop down into the shock tower area and it will be welded off everywhere it touches.

View attachment my dart 582.jpg

I got the Lower Control Arms from member " badart " today. The mock up should start soon. I am going to go ahead and take the K Member out and have one of my buddies Media Blast it before I get going on it. I will give it to him tomorrow and he will get it back to me the same day, hopefully!

Just buzzed the 4 Bolts out on the K. I am dropping it off tomorrow at 7:30am for Blasting and I will pick it up in the afternoon, then it is off to the races. Since it is all apart I will be welding up all the seems, gusseting it in a few spots and converting the Idler Arm Mount to 68+ So I don't have to pay $400.00 for an Idler Arm K for this 1 Year Idler arm deal for the 67. There will also be a Skid Plate welded to the bottom of the K and a U Hook for towing/strapping the car down.

I am actually impressed by how light the factory K frame is. I think with some bracing and boxing in the right places it could be a very strong and still light piece.

I am actually impressed by how light the factory K frame is. I think with some bracing and boxing in the right places it could be a very strong and still light piece.

I was prepared for it to be pretty heavy when pulling it out but it is super light. It should be hella stronger when I get done with it!

It's a good piece for sure! Ma mopar engineered the hell out of everything,but fell down on execution. The K frame is a perfect example. Cost cutting dictated less rosette welds,so it didnt get fully welded.Just fully welding it alone help's a lot!

Nothing will fit under the hood with all the Turbo stuff. It is as crouded as it can get.
Going to build something off the cage and into the fender well area. See Post #1.

Something like this but I will be adding a 3 Way gusseted bracket that will drop down into the shock tower area and it will be welded off everywhere it touches.

View attachment 293486

The ones he is selling don't go under the hood, they are fenderwell area similar to the ones in your pic, but they only go to the shock support, not all the way up to the front, and they wouldn't go all the way inside to tie into the cage, but I'm sure he could do that.

That's nice and clean.

Yeah, 45 Years of Grease gone. He even delivered it to me 10 minutes ago at my office! He did it for nothing. I tried to give him some cash and he got pissed at me. So I told him I would buy him a couple Tacos for lunch then he calmed down. I guess he was hungry! :D

-
Back