-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was reading a thread and seen a comment on a thread :read2:
As some of you know I changed my 170/ all stoke engine to electronic ignition
My question is should I change out the the original coil that was for the points system ? and what plugs should I be running?
Thank you again :happy10:

Attachments

• kennies camera $##$ 073.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 880
WOW!!!!! Thank you, I may change over to that system some time.
So, The Coil that came stock for my points system is not up to snuff capered to say a Stock Mopar electronic coil if I am reading that right ?

If you are using the mopar elec setup I think you may be ok. The GM HEI setup is REAL cheap and easy to swap over to, no ballast, no points, no condenser, no problems... lol

Here is mine...

Cliff003.jpg

Cliff002.jpg

,Cliff

Mike, I would at least upgrade to am MSD Blaster 2 coil (around $40 ) if you have upgraded from points. If you decide to swap over to HEI you will need a Blaster 2 or better coil anyways.

Here is mine...

100_5973.jpg

100_5972.jpg

As for plugs I am running NKG's right now. Whatever you do stay away from E3 plugs!

If you are using the mopar elec setup I think you may be ok. The GM HEI setup is REAL cheap and easy to swap over to, no ballast, no points, no condenser, no problems... lol

Here is mine...

Cliff003.jpg

Cliff002.jpg

,Cliff
Thank you for posting this Cliff, Picture work good for me :happy10:

Mike, I would at least upgrade to am MSD Blaster 2 coil (around $40 ) if you have upgraded from points. If you decide to swap over to HEI you will need a Blaster 2 or better coil anyways.

Here is mine...

100_5973.jpg

100_5972.jpg

As for plugs I am running NKG's right now. Whatever you do stay away from E3 plugs!
Thank you VERY much JR :cheers: I will change my old point's coil and change out the plugs that came in Victoria when I got her.
I will let you know what was in my slant and will use the NGK's at tune up time November 4th Saturday :cheers: I have the MoPar chrome ECU on already and running good, I took the blue one off after a mess on my inner fender, the blue one puked all over it.

Mikw
NGK ZFR5N Plugs are the best. Gap at about 35-38 then when you switch to HEI reset gap at 45.
BTW we arrived up north fine. Just went to see Harry Potter DH part 1.
Frank

Mikw
NGK ZFR5N Plugs are the best. Gap at about 35-38 then when you switch to HEI reset gap at 45.
Frank
Hello Frank, I have the NGK ZFR5N Plugs and need an up date and see if I am reading the thread correctly on removing the washer for my 66 model /170 engine ?

the tread Locdogg showed me said = My preference is for NGK ZFR5N. Remember, if yours is a 1963 to 1974 head, remove the spark plug gaskets; they're not used.. So I should remove the washer they are calling a gasket ?

Mike, the simple answer is that you need the correct coil for electronic ignition. Chrysler used different coils on points style than electronic. The MSD stuff is not necessary for what Victoria has. Now if you plan on some pretty serious upgrades in the future you might want to consider it. Other than that, it's just a name brand to show off when you open the hood.

Hello Frank, I have the NGK ZFR5N Plugs and need an up date and see if I am reading the thread correctly on removing the washer for my 66 model /170 engine
Yes, remove the washer/gasket.

BTW: I didn't change my points style coil when I swapped over and it crapped out on me 4.5 miles from home about a week later. I let off the gas, the car back fired and I realized it died. Couldn't get it to start back up, I thought the ECU went out because once I got it off on the side of the road and popped the hood, I noticed the heat dissapation plate they put on top of the ECU was ABNORMALLY hot. I still got the scar. My DVOM confirmed it was the coil, but I still had AutoZone test the ECU for the hell of it, it passed. Something told me I should buy a coil for a '73 Dart when I went to buy a new one, no problems since and the ECU is MUCH cooler. Still ended up having to get my dad to flat towe me home, scariest ride of my life.

You should use a low impedance coil designed for a ignition module with current limiting or it will kill the module. GM HEI module shorten up the dwell a lot over 5000 RPM and aren't reccommended for high RPM use. OEM ones.

Thank all of you very much :happy10: Yes I have all the correct part's now :cheers:and ready to install as soon as the weather permits
I am driving the girls to work this morning on the ice on the roads
Victoria has been in her nest for over a week and will stay there till the snow and ice is gone, I will be driving the girls to work in my wifes 2004 Chysler Pacifica :happy10:

My new parts are here, I had to order the plugs and have them to, Thank you all for jumping in and keeping me inline :-D

Attachments

• Picture 085.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 672
Cool Mike. Post up when you get it done.

Mikw
Frank

Thank you Frank :thumleft: Dun :thumleft:

Well it's all MoPar and can be found most any where on most MoPar Car's and trucks

This is what I came up with, Nothing pretty, Just user friendly :thumleft:
I will at one point have the aluminum base prettied up.

Know it can be removed for paint and re attached :toothy2:

Opinions welcome, I want to thank everyone that showed me so good alteratives :thumleft:

Attachments

• Picture 222 009.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 684
  • Picture 222 011.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 668
  • Picture 222 005.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 668
Mike that looks real nice. Only thing I would do different would be to remove the ECU and put some nuts between the ECU and your mounting plate. That will hold it up off the plate and allow air to circulate under it and help keep it cool and last longer.

Mike that looks real nice. Only thing I would do different would be to remove the ECU and put some nuts between the ECU and your mounting plate. That will hold it up off the plate and allow air to circulate under it and help keep it cool and last longer.

Thank you SS :thumleft: Will do that tomorrow :thumleft:

Hey guys i was wondering if you could still use something like msd 6a?

Sure, but it's overkill unless you're running something crazy like a turbo build. For a normal street slant six, a HEI type ignition is plenty hot.

Well Stroker :iconbigg: it gets air and has Vibration/shock resistant boots on know :grin: I took ramcharger's advise and yours and put them together.

Attachments

• Picture 222 012.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 607
Well Stroker :iconbigg: it gets air and has Vibration/shock resistant boots on know :grin: I took ramcharger's advise and yours and put them together.

Mike, that's perfect. Will work real good.

Mike what year Dist did you get?

I have had this kit on my car for over 2 years know rebel :iconbigg:
You can see my old point system in the second picture

Attachments

• i12241.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 575
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20071.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 514
-
Back