Coil...standing up or laying down?

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just curious as most of us have spare coils laying around. Is there a way to tell if it should lay down or stand up?

Mounting a coil laying down on a hot engine is not the best option unless 'correct' is the goal.

1- Heat raises resistance in the primary windings = weaker spark output
2- Oil thins out being heated = more chance for leakage

I never thought about B/RB. I'm thinking in general, how do you know which way to orient?
Mine currently is laying down as I use a 6pk coil bracket for aftermarket intake.
LOL and what about B/RB?

Mounting a coil laying down on a hot engine is not the best option unless 'correct' is the goal.

1- Heat raises resistance in the primary windings = weaker spark output
2- Oil thins out being heated = more chance for leakage

I always heard laying them down keeps the internal connections covered in the oil keeping them cooler preventing internal shorts.

Here is a twist. MSD coil mounted standing tower up. I mounted mine laying down using factory bracket and developed an oil leak. Contacted MSD and they actually make a 12vdc coil made to lay down in Chrysler configuration. $10 more than the std coil.

The MSD 8222 Blaster Epoxy filled coil can be mounted on it’s side. I wish they would’ve had this back in the 70s.

25E8504E-19C7-4928-9AEF-5423CA17B34C.jpeg

Lots of opinions on this one. Oil filled standing up to keep the primary covered, epoxy filled any way. Now there were millions of B/RB that had oil filled on the side so............

1664656654186.png

I really believe it is how much oil is actually in the canister. I have seen coils fail quickly side mounted. Primary coil in the air and not cooled? No real idea.

I really believe it is how much oil is actually in the canister. I have seen coils fail quickly side mounted. Primary coil in the air and not cooled? No real idea. The do work like a transformer though and have all prob seen them on a power pole blow up.

I wonder how you can tell if OEM were oil filled or epoxy filled? Aftermarket usually in the listing.

There may not be an advantage to epoxy coils, especially as to heat dissipation

-
Back