Coil...standing up or laying down?

-
I'm pretty sure factory Mopar coils in the last 50 years or so are oil filled.

From what I have found better against vibration mostly. And can be mounted upside down if you want.
Ya know there were coils, Ford six? that were mounted upside down back in the day. They were certainly not epoxy

Factory mopar brackets lay them down.

20221002_114913.jpg

Lay down coil 340 intake coil mounts.

Screenshot_20221002-115644_Gallery.jpg

I have spread a nice thin bead of clear silicone around the edge of where the coil tower meets the metal canister area. It keeps the oil from seeping out. I always mount them as per chrysler bracket. Sideways no issue. Currently running a red msd coil.

Anyone know what orig specs are for MP coil P4876732? I tried the googling machine with no luck. Trying to verify if good or not.

20221002_221144.jpg

Modern expoxies cool much better than transformer oil. TO is actually a very poor conductor of heat. It is used for it's high dielectric strength, not cooling properties.

All of the coils that I have seen leak, the screw down in the tower is loose. If you tighten the screw, the leak usually stops.

I never thought about B/RB. I'm thinking in general, how do you know which way to orient?
Mine currently is laying down as I use a 6pk coil bracket for aftermarket intake.
The way the coolant (oil) settles in the can is obviously designed to be mounted vertically to xompletely civer the coils. You never see a transformer on its side on a pole right? They are the same functional design. Now to mount a coil horizontally probably won't kill it but the design with the cap under the oil level is not the best orientation although millions of cars ran it like that. I think I've had 1 coil leak on me and that was after it got really hot due to a points issue.

-
Back