Cold Air Kit

-
read it again, and try and deduce the message I'm attempting to infer.

hint, it's in the last line.

read it again, and try and deduce the message I'm attempting to infer.

hint, it's in the last line.
I understand what you're saying, but when you need a complete front clip and the fenders you find are beat up or a rusted piece of junk who wants that on their car, not me.

I understand what you're saying, but when you need a complete front clip and the fenders you find are beat up or a rusted piece of junk who wants that on their car, not me.

so you want everything to be easy and at your fingertips, to able to just fill the cart and order up your front clip. got it.

the **** is out there though. it's not tough to find. it might not be cheap, it might not be next door, but it does exist.

this may not be the golden age of A body mopar (yet), but there's 10x as many parts now than there were 10 years ago. AND the inter webs have made contacting and finding these parts infinitely easier. so don't come in here swinging on my gate with a whinge about how there's no parts for early A's

also, if your buddy scrapped a car over not being able to get some interior parts then most likely, the car was a flaming pile of **** anyway. you don't scrap cars over inconvenient interior details, that's what they made Mexican blankets and duct tape for. duh.

Seeing how "Dan the man" started this thread, I'd say you are swinging on his gate. These pissing matches are getting old.
Ya, that includes Dan the man.
I wouldn't call it a pissing match. but you're entitled to your own thoughts. potato, tomato.

a conversation that aims to dispel the misconceptions that Dan has formed in his minds eye? discussion about perception? friendly banter?
It's hard for me to see it that way but maybe others do see it that way. The banter is actually much like my friends and I converse. It just seems a little impersonal on a discussion forum.

It's hard for me to see it that way but maybe others do see it that way. The banter is actually much like my friends and I converse. It just seems a little impersonal on a discussion forum.
the written word is funny in that it can lack nuance and subtext. when applied to an Internet forum, even more of that is "lost in translation" so to speak. and while I am prone to a small amount of hyperbole, I do try to be genuine in my response.

so you want everything to be easy and at your fingertips, to able to just fill the cart and order up your front clip. got it.

the **** is out there though. it's not tough to find. it might not be cheap, it might not be next door, but it does exist.

this may not be the golden age of A body mopar (yet), but there's 10x as many parts now than there were 10 years ago. AND the inter webs have made contacting and finding these parts infinitely easier. so don't come in here swinging on my gate with a whinge about how there's no parts for early A's

also, if your buddy scrapped a car over not being able to get some interior parts then most likely, the car was a flaming pile of **** anyway. you don't scrap cars over inconvenient interior details, that's what they made Mexican blankets and duct tape for. duh.
I should have mentioned that the '66 dart was several years ago and I was working 60 plus hours a week which didn't leave me much time. I know that you guys have more / better connections than I do. As far as the neighbor with the dart sport, I think that he may have had a little pressure from his wife too, but I could be wrong. Many times I wish that I had bought the '66 dart anyway and just took the time to locate the parts. Live and learn as they say.

the written word is funny in that it can lack nuance and subtext. when applied to an Internet forum, even more of that is "lost in translation" so to speak. and while I am prone to a small amount of hyperbole, I do try to be genuine in my response.
I see punctuation and capitalisation is lost too.

as is spelling, usage, page break, and structure. it's thunderdome no matter the type of forum.

i eschew capitalization purely as a final form of my undying laziness.
Had to throw you a bone so to speak. Lol. Your use of the Kings vernacular is strong.

Had to throw you a bone so to speak. Lol. Your use of the Kings vernacular is strong.
I'll take what I can get. I just try and keep it interesting. where's the fun in regurgitating the same lines of dreck I say!

back seat cold air intake.png

67 had funky steering parts. So that makes them undesirable in my eyes. But the body styles prior to 67 were pretty horrible.
I had a 65 Cuda and when me and one of my friends would get in it it's like we were shoved inside of a tin can shoulder to shoulder. I didn't like the feeling.
The only funky steering part in a 67 was the idler arm, and that can be fixed with some work, or merely swapping the K

Have you had experience with cold air kit for a early A bodies? I heard that they can be good for a easy 20hp increase, is this true
Look man, step up and get real. Stop talking in riddles.
1....You have mentioned, variously, early A bodies, a 66, a 68, and a 74. WE have no idea WTF you are dealing with "actually." And you have never mentioned what engine/ carb(s) or EFI combination you are working on. For all I know you've swapped a Maserati V6 into something...................
2...There is and never was such a thing as a "cold air kit" for A bodies. Unlike B bodies (air grabber, Coyote duster) there never was a factory active hook scoop "kit" or option

So what are you working on?

What do you have in mind? There are only a few ways to accomplish "cold air" and NONE of them are a "kit."

1....Install various hood scoops and review such as OldManMopar used to have on his now RIP duster where a bonnet sealed the carb to the scoop

2....Radically modify the cowl to use it as an air box, thus destroying it's usefulness to the heater/ AC system, and fabricating a duct from there to a fabricated bonnet around the carb/ EFI body

3....Some other scheme involving chopping up the fenders to install ducts, or routing various kinds of ductwork down to the grille or under the bumper.

When installing a cold air kit, I understand that it's best to mount the air filter outside of the engine compartment, but with the air duct still being in the engine compartment wouldn't it be a good idea to insulate this as it's exposed to the heat of the engine compartment? Seems to me that even though the filter would be picking up cooler air that it would be almost as hot as if the filter was still under the hood.
Dan, 67Dart273 has a point. You need to be a good bit more clear in your thinking and questions and a whole lot more focused and descriptive. It would help if you had a car that your working on so it becomes a clear point of just that car.

To somewhat answer your question…..

Routing cold air into the carb is the goal for keeping the engines power constant and steady. But there are no kits available for older cars. But! As pictured earlier by a couple of members, home made is best made.

Routing a tube to the cowl or in front of the radiator is best.

On the tube, heat soak is a minor or less than issue. Once the car is moving and the air really gets moving as idle is a low draw, the incoming air has little time to pick up heat from the tube. Material of the tube matters a little bit, for sure.

There is plastic tube, thicker the better and the best to have.
There is metal tube. I don’t think this is the best but probably the most durable.
Then there is a fabric type of possible connection which is the worst. The type of thing I’m describing is what the factory used to connect the air cleaner snorkel to a fresher air sourced from the battery area seen on mid 70’s cars.

Plastic is the best against heat. Wrapping the tube no matter what it is constructed from is a help but not a huge item. I would not bother with it unless I was endurance racing.

The K&N cold air kits I have on my ‘18 Ram 1500 & the wife’s ‘15 Durango HEMI R/T are listed as 15/17 hp respectively and approximately the same in reverse, 17/15 for torque as claimed by K&N on there dyno but on earlier, lower powered HEMI engines. So, IMO, there more than probably making more power since the newer engines are more powerful.

This is why members here don’t think you’ll see such an improvement on the lower powered LA.

A lot of the power gain is not only how powerful the engine is but how restrictive the air coming in is as well as how much hot air the engine is ingesting.

I personally love the two pictured examples prior. My fav is the attachment to the cowl. (Nice work brother!)

The twin snorkel running the tubes up front is excellent as well. Where ever you can get cooler air is where the tubes should go. While it doesn’t bother me personally sei g these types of things on older cars, take the time to think before you use. I tend to think of such systems not as power adders but power retainers as in the system keeping the engine happiest and allowing it to consistently make all the power it was intended to make. Efficiently and constantly operating as intended.

Again, I’d use a thick plastic tube and not worry about the heat.

I installed a fresh air system on my 78 Dodge C-Class MH by running flex dryer ducting from the snorkel of the 440s air cleaner to the cowl . I cut a 4” hole in the bottom of the cowl .
It made a big difference in engine temp on hot days.
And adds water injection on rainy days ! Lol

No … its just a hole in the hood .
I did however make a seal plate for my 73 340 4sp with that scoop to make it functional.
My air filter sits up in the scoop. And furthermore I was being a smartass. I do have K&N cold air intakes on my 04 Colorado and on my 02 Ram 2500.

My air filter sits up in the scoop. And furthermore I was being a smartass. I do have K&N cold air intakes on my 04 Colorado and on my 02 Ram 2500.
I used a velocity stack and a triangular plate ( same shape as hood bacing) with a hole the size of the stack . The stack would protrude about 1” above the plate into the scoop .

-
Back