Cold galvanizing experiment.

-

Hemiorangeswinger

Dodge Material
Reaction score
I picked up some rustolium bright galvanizing compound spray paint and wanted to try it out. I wanted to see how close it was to factory finish and it might be a cheaper alternative to getting things plated for guys on a budget or don't trust dropping off little parts at a plater. The can it about four times heavier than a regular spray paint and it comes out really thick, but even.

I found that it dries with a flat dusty type of finish, so I rubbed it with paper towel and it comes out to a semi gloss and highlights all the edges. It seams the more you buff it the glossier it gets (I will do it some more once its completely dry) its really hard to capture the finish on camera, but it looks almost identical to the original finish.

Figured I'd share this and get some opinions. It seams like a durable finish, I'll let you guys know once its hardened completely.

null_zps32adeda9.jpg

null_zpsc80481bc.jpg

null_zps90105a1c.jpg

null_zpsea6aac37.jpg

Looks fine. There wasn't a shine to the OEM finish on those parts anyway. Wasn't any consistency either. Original sealed beams would heat up those buckets quite a bit. I hope the paint stays.
The word gold in the title is puzzling.

Thanks for the comments. I posted this from my phone and my fat fingers hit the wrong key, haha. I fixed it. (Cold not Gold) thanks for letting me know. It says it can take dry heat up to 200F 94C so it should hold up fine.

Does it have the same rust protection that regular Rustoleum has?

-
Back