Collector ? Flange ?

-

MAPS

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
EA885B71-8B8D-406C-A02A-4252F54F0D4D.jpeg
5FC6F103-A9E0-4984-98E0-3D5A52FDBA51.jpeg
? I'm not sure what the piece is called but the part where the end of the headers reach that have the 3 holed collector that connects to the exhaust pipe that goes to the mufflers on down...

The headers I have don't have that part doors anyone have an idea how I worked connect these to the pipes have now ?
The mufflers I had one had this piece but the new headers I am installing, Hooker Super Competition adjustable headers (5303) don't have that part just a straight long collector ?
Any ideas ?
Thanks
Maps

You should be able to buy 3/4 bolt flanges and weld them on. These headers were made for a race only application and no need for an exhaust system.

Hey Maps,

I wouldn't do anything with those headers yet if you haven't test fit them in your car. As Murray stated, they are race only headers and may not fit a stock application.

Those headers fit perfectly in any 67-74 A body.

To hook an exhaust to them all you do is get the same size pipe as the collector and expand it so it slips over the collector.

They make weld on tabs so you can use bolts to go through the tabs to hold the exhaust pipe on the collector.

There are several variations on the tabs. Pick the tabs that get you the most excited and use those.

This is the same header I use on my junk. They are a royal PITA to install and remove, but they FIT when they are on. And they make power.

Hello
After speaking with Y.R. I enquired about them with a shop near me that actually does these installations... like this.

I will try to hook up a video they have on their site when they install headers and this is how they go about it.

It will solve my issue on the spot.
They just don't install the headers, so we are almost finished doing that now.
When I am finished I will try to show the end result.

Lastly.
I must make this as public as possible and I don't know if the person will mind but the credit and support be has shown me is undeniable.

He has been a pillar of information to many on this site but to me he has been more, so I just want to say thank you sir.
You are a gentleman first and a car fan afterwards.
You are an example many should follow and a plethora of information for many.

YELLOW ROSE,

I do not know how to ever show my appreciation but if ever you need something and I can help please do not hesitate to ask.
Sincerely, grateful and will always be a friend.
MAPS

Hello
After speaking with Y.R. I enquired about them with a shop near me that actually does these installations... like this.

I will try to hook up a video they have on their site when they install headers and this is how they go about it.

It will solve my issue on the spot.
They just don't install the headers, so we are almost finished doing that now.
When I am finished I will try to show the end result.

Lastly.
I must make this as public as possible and I don't know if the person will mind but the credit and support be has shown me is undeniable.

He has been a pillar of information to many on this site but to me he has been more, so I just want to say thank you sir.
You are a gentleman first and a car fan afterwards.
You are an example many should follow and a plethora of information for many.

YELLOW ROSE,

I do not know how to ever show my appreciation but if ever you need something and I can help please do not hesitate to ask.
Sincerely, grateful and will always be a friend.
MAPS

Now that's cool!!

Why I like this site so much..so many people wiling to help someone they don't even know !!

Maps, you do know that the rear tube on each side goes through the fenderwell, right?

331MP You do know that I'm dying to tell you that you are wrong. Right ,?
Please God, I've been thru this with others, so I'm hoping that I'm not back where I was a few months ago before I bought them

331MP
All kidding side I don't believe they go the fenders, because they were going to be going thru my fenders and they don't look like they went anywhere near the fenderwall.
Not only that, I was told by none other, the Master of 5303 headers. What they can or can not do, fit and install.
Right up to the actual instructions ....
Yellow Rose.

Truthfully, I did go thru that scare originally but because I was getting them at A great price I was going to buy them regardless. I almost bought another set that were NOS Super Comp headers but 67 and earlier for about 100 dollars but couldn't find anyone who needed them so I let them go and just took mine here now.

I'll keep you informed how the install goes. Those brackets are a good idea as well.

MAPS

You may be right, but.... my big block b-body super comp hooker adjustables definately have the seven and eight tubes thru the wheelwell, and your seven and eight look just like mine.

20201026_185929.jpg

20201026_185925.jpg

Edit: they are SUPER comp headers, so hooker went out of their way to make the primaries equal length. In order to get enough length on the shortest rear cylinders they went thru the wheelwell and around the front frame rail, .....at least on mine. Yours may be different. Ive never worked on a mopar smallblock.

Last edited:
@331MP
I was of the same mind when I originally was looking into getting them and they were on a Duster (70) and thought maybe on the Barracuda they'll go thru the fenders but was told they would not, finally found a Hooker Sales site with all the headers they had with headers for all makes and when you look for the model I have you had a list also to check, 4 speed, column shifter, floor shifter, AC, etc and you had NO,YES, and when I got to the part that said 4 speed and no power steering that they would fit I was encouraged but it was not saying if it went thru the fenders.lol
Until I found a gentleman (Yellow Rose) that was able to look at 10 sets of headers on a floor bed of a truck and tell you that the one in the far left corner are Hooker Super Comp headers for Mopar's small block ...lol
The man is a whiz when it came to these headers and he was the one that told me to get them if you found them, in fact if I don't buy them could I could let him know where to go get them. So you see he was a gentleman.
I did tell him if or when I put a set of TTI headers I'll let him have these for what I paid them and he knows what I paid for them, basically nothing for a set of good long headers.
He told me they go under the frame and not thru the fenders and I took his word on it.
I was gong to buy them regardless fender or no fender entrance .
MAPS

I truly hope that you are both right. I did mention that i havent worked on small blocks, and its more than possible i am wrong.
I was just going by 30 years experience with a pair of big block supercomp adjustable's that look just like yours.
Edit: btw, what i did on my street exhaust for mine was.... i made six pairs of four bolt square flanges (i also had a custom set for another car that also didnt have flanges) because four bolts were easier to make. I made several seta of dead soft aluminum gaskets to match, and used one set on each header, and the last sets just after the mufflers, so i could drop the tailpipes or the muffler section if i wanted.
If i did it again today, i would simply buy flanges from summit or jegs, and weld them on.

Last edited:
3F937777-0438-41AF-B256-23E6FFE69DF9.jpeg
524BEF3F-41E2-44E2-9566-9D5E950EB042.jpeg
This is how they will be connected.
I just hope Don't know where I will actually connect them at.. At the end of the headers or the collector, sic c is about a foot longer towards the rear of the car.

Zoi

View attachment 1715707854 View attachment 1715707853 This is how they will be connected.
I just hope Don't know where I will actually connect them at.. At the end of the headers or the collector, sic c is about a foot longer towards the rear of the car.

Zoi

That is perfect right there. Nothing wrong with that. Clean and simple and no extra welding. I like it.

EDIT: if you have room to slide the clamps toward the rear you can. The clamp might get close to the crossmember. It’s hard to tell in pictures. Either way is ok. At the end of the collector or up where you have it. Whichever is the cleanest way to do it is fine.

And THANK YOU for the kind words. I’m truly humbled.

I truly hope that you are both right. I did mention that i havent worked on small blocks, and its more than possible i am wrong.
I was just going by 30 years experience with a pair of big block supercomp adjustable's that look just like yours.
Edit: btw, what i did on my street exhaust for mine was.... i made six pairs of four bolt square flanges (i also had a custom set for another car that also didnt have flanges) because four bolts were easier to make. I made several seta of dead soft aluminum gaskets to match, and used one set on each header, and the last sets just after the mufflers, so i could drop the tailpipes or the muffler section if i wanted.
If i did it again today, i would simply buy flanges from summit or jegs, and weld them on.

That’s another good thing about the 5303 Hooker headers. They don’t go through the fender well. I just hate cutting up these cars if you don’t have to.

They are a giant PITA to install, and they really only go in ONE WAY and you can’t deviate from that or you pay the price of wasting time and doing it over. That’s why I keep a copy of the instructions on my computer. So when someone finds these headers without instructions I can hook them up.

Once they are on they fit very well. And they make great power.

That’s another good thing about the 5303 Hooker headers. They don’t go through the fender well. I just hate cutting up these cars if you don’t have to.

They are a giant PITA to install, and they really only go in ONE WAY and you can’t deviate from that or you pay the price of wasting time and doing it over. That’s why I keep a copy of the instructions on my computer. So when someone finds these headers without instructions I can hook them up.

Once they are on they fit very well. And they make great power.

Yellow Rose

I will forever be indebted to you for your kindness and support.
This MB offers a heap of help, be it members, forums or wherever you can find it but few go that " extra" step to personally explain the why and why not with these cars.
You are one of those few.
Thanks again for everything you have helped me with in the past and God willing in the future, only because I want to add something, not repair.

-
Back