Collector Sealant or dry?

-

sabre67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all just wondering what you are using for any sealant on collector gaskets or leaving them dry? Thanks

I use the copper collector gaskets without any sealant. 65'

I don't use any gasket or sealant. Nothing there nothing to blow out. Back in the 80's I did a lot of street racing and would always drop the pipes at the collectors. I would always let the pipes hang from the bottom collector bolt. It was so much easier with no gasket. If your pipes and header fit flush there is no reason for a gasket. Like the manifold at the head on most cars there is no gasket. Once the pipes get hot they seal from expansion. My exhaust on my Duster I d didn't even use clamps. I could remove it very easy because the pipes were not crushed. As son as they got warm they sealed from heat. I had a bunch of the clips made. Now they have stainless band clamps . I love them. never a gasket on any exhaust except headers at the head on a street car with a full exhaust. Race car?. Cut the header flange between the outer and center tubes and use Red RTV High heat sealant. Just make sure they fit flush. Below is pictures of the the clips with 1/4 20 bolts. Slip the pipes together and wled them on. Make sure they all bolted together in the same direction so you can spin them off. They are much cheaper then band clamps and last forever.

DSCN1662.jpg

DSCN1663.jpg

Steve 055.JPG

-
Back