Column shift guys, where have you put your Tach?

-

Ol'forest

Reaction score
Mounting a small 3" tach in my column shifted duster, and went to mount it to my column as I have in the past, and then realised, I cant put a hose clamp in front of the gear indicator face due to the hazard light button, I didn't want to drill a hole and screw to the column cover but may have to. Would like to see how and where some of you other guys have mounted a tach in your a-bodies.

Mine was mounted on the "A" piller at eye level. It is off now because we put in a windshield.

Back in the very early 70s I mounted my tach in my '69 Dart to the sunvisor mount/shoulder harness clip at the top of the A-pillar. Your local police may not like it there (mine didn't back then) so I wired in a pull-apart plug and just unplugged it if I needed to get a "fix-it" ticket written off.

I'm thinking bottom of dash may be too far out of site, I do have a shift light but like to watch the tach when I'm driving, which leaves two choices for me, drill into column cover, or make a custom bracket / bezel that attaches under dash pad. Anyone got a setup like that we can see?

...….Anyone got a setup like that we can see?
Like this?
This SW is hung over the plastic and below the pad. The drive cable runs through the removed blank behind it. The bracket is just a hole for the tach and about a half inch wide 90° angle that hangs it.
SWtach.jpg

SWtach2.jpg

I found some soft aluminum, and made a strap ,and bent it to fit over the dash pad. It hooks under at the back then I pull it forward over the front edge and fold it underneath at the front. But before I did the final tuck at the front, I screwed a standoff to the strap,from the underside with flush fitting screws. And then screwed the tach-mount onto that from the top.
I formed the strap loose enough that I can slide it side to side on the pad. Usually, the tach is over to the passenger side a little ways, cuz I hardly ever look at it. When I went to the track, all two times,I slid the tach front and center, and I watched the tach hit 7000 and it stayed there at every shift,lol. I thought I smoked the clutch,but no,that wasn't it. One of the track officials came over and offered that I should lower my tire pressures, on account of the car seemed to still be hazing the tires at the end of the 1/8th. Nice guy, but IDK how he could see that far; 220 yards is a long way.
Also on the stand-off, I mounted two little 12vLEDS; a red one to indicate the line lock is on, and a Green one to indicate that the Overdrive is engaged.
I built that mount in 1971, and it has been with me ever since. It is about 1.5 inches wide, and maybe as thick a 3/16; I don't think it is 1/8th.
As an aside, the line-loc has two switches, a push-button momentary on, mounted to the stick as usual. But I also installed a toggle on it to make it a Hill-holder at redlights.
Oh-oh, I gave it away; my car is not an automatic, and not a column shift lol. The tach don't care,lol.

Mine is now under the dash bolted to an existing hole . Not the best place . Relocated to the space occupied by the rear view mirror . Great spot but I'm afraid the local p.d. will object .

Hey That's what I did!
same concept anyway.

IMG_8902.JPG

suction cup mount on windshield....
17582_1_.jpg

My 'S' tach is down by my left knee!

-
Back