Column shifters screwed

-

Coastie

Reaction score
Alright, just got a call from the shop; they couldnt fix the slop in my 3 on the tree A903, they said the column needs to be rebuilt. So it looks like swapping to a 4spd is my only option (cause i cant find anyone to rebuild a column for less than the 4spd). What will i need swapping from a 3 on tree a903 to a 4 on floor a833? A833 is from a slant 6 truck. Or are there any other transmissions that will bolt up without swapping much?

From what ive gathered, the trans comes with a slant 6 bell housing, trans, and floor shifter, and the a903 and a833 are the same dimensions so i can use my drive shaft and should only need to cut a hole in the tunnel. Anybody have any experience?

i dont know much about manuals, but i wonder if a 3 speed floor shifter might not be a cheaper option?

i dont know much about manuals, but i wonder if a 3 speed floor shifter might not be a cheaper option?

Waaaaay cheaper.
Had a 66 ranchero that I put a Hurst 3 speed on the floor because of the same issue.
A lot more fun to drive too.:D

I think it was about 80 bucks and 1.5 hrs to install and get adjusted right.

They used to make kits, though they werent the greatest unfortunantly, i cant find anything except for people bitching about them. Even then, the a903 doesnt have any side mounts for a shifter.

The kit came with support arms that mounted to some of the tailshaft bolts, so it didn't need a mounting pad.
Most of the people I have seen that bitched about how they worked didn't have them adjusted right.

The kit came with support arms that mounted to some of the tailshaft bolts, so it didn't need a mounting pad.
Most of the people I have seen that bitched about how they worked didn't have them adjusted right.
Agreed. I've come across a lot of times when somebody will complain about a product, and when I look at it, I find it was improperly installed. Plus, there are just some people who are going to complain no matter what. I have a good friend who bought a 55 Chevy 6 cyl, 3 on the tree with sloppy shifting. He bought a 3 speed floor shifter (from JC Whitney I think). It was easy to install and adjust, and it works great.

Agreed. I've come across a lot of times when somebody will complain about a product, and when I look at it, I find it was improperly installed. Plus, there are just some people who are going to complain no matter what. I have a good friend who bought a 55 Chevy 6 cyl, 3 on the tree with sloppy shifting. He bought a 3 speed floor shifter (from JC Whitney I think). It was easy to install and adjust, and it works great.
Either of yall have a link to one?

I have a Slant OD bell, which is the only thing you would need to replace to go with that later 4 speed.
Message me if you decide to go that way

Put one in my 68 chevy,3 on the floor was ok.
Except when i had my dog in the truck. He liked to sleep on the floor,and would lean against shifter and knock it into neutral.

Put one in my 68 chevy,3 on the floor was ok.
Except when i had my dog in the truck. He liked to sleep on the floor,and would lean against shifter and knock it into neutral.
How hard was it to do the conversion? A free afternoon or a weekend project? And did you pull the trans?

There HAS to be something because the first car I drove when younger was a 74 Dart Sport with a /6 and 3spd on the floor (from the factory).

How hard was it to do the conversion? A free afternoon or a weekend project? And did you pull the trans?

Like some of the guys here my experience is with Brand X. Mine, specifically, was my '78 F250.

Trans stayed in place, took about an afternoon. Really not that big a change over.

What year car? My 64 had a serious problem with the 3 on the tree linkage. Like it would jam and get stuck in 2nd even when granny shifting. There is an adjustment procedure in the FSM. I did that and replaced the 52 year old rubber bushings. Ouila! 2000 miles later still good. Having said that, I have collected all the parts to do a 4 spd swap. Not cheap.

I would say either fix what you have or put a want ad in the wanted section for a better column. I gotta believe they're good for 200,000 miles.

It was pretty easy if i recall. Trans does not need to come out. Read the instructions.

Back in the early 80’s i recall seeing an aspen with 3 on the floor. A bunch were ordered to go to the middle east, but deal fell through, chrysler was stuck with them, think some level of gubbernment took advantage of the cheap cars

What year car? My 64 had a serious problem with the 3 on the tree linkage. Like it would jam and get stuck in 2nd even when granny shifting. There is an adjustment procedure in the FSM. I did that and replaced the 52 year old rubber bushings. Ouila! 2000 miles later still good. Having said that, I have collected all the parts to do a 4 spd swap. Not cheap.

I would say either fix what you have or put a want ad in the wanted section for a better column. I gotta believe they're good for 200,000 miles.
Actually just got it back from the shop. They said they didnt fix it, but it shifts well now.. so who knows lol.

Thanks everyone! At least now it can drive while i look into everything!

If it messes up again, and it's a 70 and up car.....send me a PM. I have a 3 on the tree column minus the steering shaft that I'm never gonna use. It came out of a 70 Duster.

If it messes up again, and it's a 70 and up car.....send me a PM. I have a 3 on the tree column minus the steering shaft that I'm never gonna use. It came out of a 70 Duster.
I appreciate it, but i think ill just swap it to a floor shifter. Now, if youve got an 8.75 rear end you arent gonna use haha

-
Back