Combo u-joint vs 7260 solid

-

matthon

Reaction score
So I have a 742 Sure-Grip with 3.23s and a driveshaft with new spicer 7260 u-joints, which are solid.
Original bb car with a 4 speed.

Going to swap in a 742 Sure-Grip with 3.91s with a 7290 yoke.

Combo u-joint would make it easy, but it's greasable, aka not solid, and I can't locate a solid one.

Am I better off swapping the pinion yoke and keeping the solid u-joint, or using the combo?

If swapping the yoke, it's not rocket science right, as long as both have the same spline, yes?

How much power?
I haven’t found it to be a big deal. I take off each cap and pump grease until it comes out each hole and forget about it. I have 20+ year old U joints like this behind 450hp engines, auto and manual trans, 3.55 street duty and 4.10 street light warrior.

No issues yet.

Yes on the homes if you so decide.

I'm running a 472 Hemi automatic with 4.10 gears using a 7260/7290 greasable .
Installed in 2004 and still in the car with many hard passes.4 speed, well I understand your concern. Just saying they work for me.

Since you are in possession of both yokes, I would swap them. 742 do not use a crush sleeve so that is not an issue. Just torque both to 240 ft lbs.

So I have a 742 Sure-Grip with 3.23s and a driveshaft with new spicer 7260 u-joints, which are solid.
Original bb car with a 4 speed.

Going to swap in a 742 Sure-Grip with 3.91s with a 7290 yoke.

Combo u-joint would make it easy, but it's greasable, aka not solid, and I can't locate a solid one.

Am I better off swapping the pinion yoke and keeping the solid u-joint, or using the combo?

If swapping the yoke, it's not rocket science right, as long as both have the same spline, yes?

Call Dr Diff, I think he has what you are looking for.

Dr Diff has what I'm looking for, unfortunately I don't have the dough. I called last week, he let me pick his brain and I got the gasket kit and u-joint, if needed just to get it moving.

It just doesn't make sense that you can't get a solid one. I'm kind of surprised the combo is taking the abuse, but what do I know, that's why I posted.

To take the yoke off and on my understanding is it helps to have it in the car.

I might just buy a small yoke, I'm weird like that, I like to keep stuff that works together so I can use it again without putting it back together or sourcing pieces.

-
Back