Come on Edelbrock. Get your act together.

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Almost have another set of Edelbrock heads ready for a valve job so I figured while I still had my coveralls on I would get a jump on the Victor340 intake manifold. Man I’m about disgusted in the direction Edelbrock and their quality control or lack of it is heading. Look at these out of the box ports.

3FD629C9-9530-4B34-BB84-D760FF9ACEE4.jpeg

EE70C291-9BF3-460D-A633-50C5BE818DC8.jpeg

2D00BA59-8210-4278-A4AB-DAEF87E2763F.jpeg

F0B089C8-C63A-4FCA-B54C-ECFDEC507BFB.jpeg

Wow !! None of my Speedmaster stuff has EVER looked like that !!!! And some give "slap" for buying chinese ....

:lol:

Ohhh well sometimes you gotta know when to take a break. Doing enough of these I know where to place the gasket to scribe my lines but I use 7/16 bolts when I can to center the gasket. Well when someone self grinds the holes for more bolt clearance at all different kinds of angles it really makes things fun. Then when they stick it in the mill to grind the top of the manifold so the valve covers don’t hit now they took gasket sealing surface that I need to raise the port to where it should be. Please Dont do this guys. If you need more clearance just flip the manifold over and hand drill bigger holes.

D4ADAFED-5720-4E04-A4AA-B3A635A6A93B.jpeg

C0892300-CEB9-4D17-BB64-DC74DE92A7F8.jpeg

AC80BECE-A7D3-46CC-B9FA-E63A3877D79F.jpeg

81D16467-082F-4DA0-A175-4768873B6746.jpeg

Chinabrock now

This is a used set of heads and intake and I should post up pictures of the rocker stand castings. Speedmaster is putting them to shame. But I sure like doing valve jobs on the Edelbrock heads compared to speedmaster. They just cut and look cleaner.

Is there green sand still falling out of that gasket surface??!! Holly ****!!

I've got a few years old 440 Sixpack edelbrock that is quite a bit worse than that, John.

When my buddy was running class with a 440 six pak he was allowed to go through the trailer at a National event and open ever box and hand pick his intake. All he could say was WOW at what he saw that day and this was years ago.

Wow, that is terrible. Its a shame considering what they charge for a damn intake these days. My RB six pack intake has a bunch of dings down in the runners. My guess is they used an air hammer to knock out remaining casting sand, that is what it looks like.

I received a new Victor 340 just a few months ago from Summit after them having been out of stock for some time. I assume it’s from the new foundry. Can’t say definitively. Had to slot the mounting holes a little with a die grinder be able to line the ports up, but overall the intake ports were nowhere near whats shown here..

Wow, not a pretty sight. I think the Poly intakes out of Mexico are better.

Wow !! None of my Speedmaster stuff has EVER looked like that !!!! And some give "slap" for buying chinese ....

So long as Edelbrock keeps not killing us, I'll keep buying their stuff.

I'd be pissed if that was my intake, but I'm curious if that amount of defect would even matter for the typical shade tree effort? Anyone going for more than that is usually going to at least try and leave a few grinder marks in the port..

Ok guys what would you do. This is where the port should be but because the top was milled off you can see how much material is left. I wont rely on that to seal and have a couple ideas. What would you guys do. The thin area is the top of the port. The best area to have.

5E828799-32E7-4A28-8CC5-5AF7C9F8E9AC.jpeg

B804A965-C812-4BDF-9717-E540A20F749D.jpeg

Wow, not a pretty sight. I think the Poly intakes out of Mexico are better.

Lots of oem Mfg there, I'd trust those facilities far more than other sources.

Plus, it's just being a good neighbor by supporting their economy! Probably better for the environment too, being a shorter shipping distance.. See? Hot rodding can be green.

Ok guys what would you do. This is where the port should be but because the top was milled off you can see how much material is left. I wont rely on that to seal and have a couple ideas. What would you guys do. The thin area is the top of the port. The best area to have.

View attachment 1716031468

View attachment 1716031469

That hurts more than the fubar opening..

Just a blind guess: angle mill or just mill the head to try and give you meat to raise the intake in relation to the head?

Gotta be better than welding another 5lbs of alloy over the runners..

That's pretty shaky all right. I'd probably take some off the floor, but not all the way to the line.
Otoh, i got away with this port, on a tm7 that was modified (not by me) for maxwedge heads. The bottom of the valley under each port was also ground for valley pan clearance.
Oops, just read the text again that the thin spot is at the top. My tm7 has some slugs of aluminum welded to the top of each pair of ports. Not pretty..... but they don't leak.

20230106_164029.jpg

Last edited:
I’m thinking they may be cast in India and ship through Hong Kong. China is cracking down on pollution and I believe India is not.

*ring* *ring*
client: hello?
jyh: hello fair person!
client: what's going on?
jyh: yes, on this port job would you like an air sucker or an oil sucker?
client: huh?
jyh: let me rephrase, would you like James Bond smoke screen option or the mile master option?
client: what?
jyh: fear not, I'll do my best!
*click*

View attachment 1716031468

View attachment 1716031469
Do I understand correctly; you have the heads too, and that is where the gasket needs to be to line up? Is the head opening that big too?

I am guessing you’ll be welding the intake or milling the deck surface of the head to lower the top of the port?

Well, Vic has been gone for a while. I think his daughter took over. So the question is; which is more important to her; bigger profits or Vic's quality?

-
Back