Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 65BCODA

65BCODA Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:41 PM
    Contact Seller
    These were acquired in a horse trade deal, I have no use for them.
    They were in pretty rough shape, I sent them off to our very own Leanna, princess of powder, (PSC) for some much needed attention.
    There are two scratches that could not be sanded/buffed out, would not be noticeable with plug wires installed.
    $200 + freight, currently located in Lexington, KY

VC 002 (Medium).jpg

VC 003 (Medium).jpg

VC 005 (Medium).jpg

VC 006 (Medium).jpg

2. dart4forte

dart4forte FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    6:41 PM
    67 valve covers

3. bamacuda

bamacuda Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:41 PM
    okay: explain the differences between 65, 66, and 67 wrinkle finish aluminum finned formula s valve covers. What I do know is that there are ones with a stack on one and a grommet hole on the other verses both with stacks. Also, there are differences on the wire loom on the side. Can you clarify which are which? Thanks!!!!:cheers:

4. bamacuda

Local Time:
    ps I am lusting for these!

5. rumblefish360

rumblefish360 so close yet so far away

Local Time:
    WOW! sweet. Man those are nice!

6. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968 The Mistress of Metal FABO Gold Member FABO Vendor

Local Time:
  7. Dfnsmn34

Dfnsmn34 Margarita Mike

Local Time:
    8:41 AM
    Bump for ya...that is a good deal...I only need one set...which I already have...which BTW cost me more than you are asking and of course were Powder coated by the GREAT Leanna!

Aloha!

8. 65 Dartman

65 Dartman FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    The 65's had the stovepipes on both valve covers for the push on chrome oil filler cap and push on chrome PVC cap. 66 & 7's used the grommet in the one valve cover as shown. I wasn't aware of differences on the wire loom, but there nay be. Someone else might know the answer to that one. And definitely Leanna does great work on these - she's done several sets for me.

9. '64 Cuda

'64 Cuda Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    IIRC, my 65 valve covers don't have the long wire retainer that's on the intake side of the non-stovepipe cover in the picture. They also don't have the slots in the tab between the plug wire holes in the finned aluminum piece on the non-stovepipe cover in the pic. I'm wondering if you have one 65 cover & one later cover. I think the slots in the finned aluminum piece on the later cover were to hold on a plastic plug wire retaining clip that held 2 plug wires. My covers use individual plastic donut type things that clip around the plug wires & snap into the holes. Does this make sense? Somebody say so if I'm wrong.

10. dart4forte

Local Time:

Ok, The set depicted here is for a 67. Has the provision for PCV using just the rubber grommet seal on one side and the filler/oil breather neck on the other. The oil breather had a provision to run a rubber hose to the un-silenced aircleaner. I belive that was for California cars. Note: Not all 4 barrel 273's had a chrome aircleaner. Some of the California cars had black painted aircleaners. The 66 D/Darts came with a painted aircleaner.

64 through early 66 used two filler necks, one had a regular oil breather and the other had a cap with a provision to mount the PVC to the top of the breather. I'm not sure when the PVC was first used, I belive late 65, early 66. The PVC was also metal where the 67 used plastic.

I'm not sure on the wire loom. I have numerous sets of hipo valve covers 65-67 and all the looms look the same.

I went and looked at several sets of my 65-66 covers. All have the one-piece push-in wire looms. One set I know for sure came off a 65 Formula S Cuda and the 67 set I have came off a 67 Formula S Cuda. Also, late 66 through 67 was the first year for the large wire retainer on the side of the driver side VC. Earlier 65 covers used individual retainers.

11. 65 Dartman

65 Dartman FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Here's a quick picture of my Leanna-finished 65 Valve covers. As 64 Cuda noted they don't have the long wire retainer on the PVC valve cover and they don't have the slots in the tops of the finned aluminum pieces. Other than putting my white plastic plug retainers these are ready to install.

Commando valve covers.jpg

12. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968 The Mistress of Metal FABO Gold Member FABO Vendor

Local Time:
    I've done a lot of sets of those valve covers -- without going through past invoices and counting, I'd guess between 18-24 sets. The only difference I've seen in the wire looms is that some have holes in the upright section (covered when the white plastic inserts are installed) and some were completely polished while others were anodized in an argent silver between the polished fins. I've never been able to spot a pattern between the different valve cover styles/years.

Thanks for the compliments guys! In case anyone's wondering, I can restore the finned pieces eiither way the customer prefers regardless of which finish is on them when they get here.

BTW, there are lots more Commando pics in the link I posted earlier ... it's my Before & After Folder.

13. toolmanmike

toolmanmike FABO Staff Staff Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    My early 66's look like this. They both have the stove pipes and passengers side has the individual tabs for the wire loom. They were restored by Leanna
    of course! toolman (they started out ugly too)

14. bamacuda

Local Time:
    we are pretty smart, aren't we! This is the info we need to share, and get documented in an archive. It would make the restoration process easier. Thanks for everybody's help, I now know I have the right ones for my 65. I now need to save up some dough and get them to Leanna.

15. dart4forte

Local Time:
    Went over to my storage and looked at several sets. The slots are there so that the plastic wire loom will snap in. The plastic wire loom on the later V/Cs have a small plastic tab that snaps the loom in place. The early plastic looms are do not have that provision and have a resistance fit. My guess is that over time with engine cycling hot/cold the looms would lossen up/warp etc. Ma Mopar must of corrected that by going to the tab set-up. I guess we all are learning something new.

16. 65BCODA

Local Time:
    Bump

17. 65BCODA

Local Time:
    Sold ..............Thanks FABO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.