Common small block filter ?

-
I like these, have the good red silicone anti-drain back valve. For mopars, tall filters.

View attachment 1715596150
plus it looks like an American Dragmaster wheel!
lots-of-different-099-jpg.jpg

I get Baldwin B34 oil filters from Grainger, about $9 each after tax and rated to 5 microns. If they're good enough for industrial and commercial heavy vehicles they're probably good for my 2 360s and Jeep 4.0L. I've noticed mid-range and "top-shelf" oil filters have gotten REALLY expensive in the past few years, no way I'm paying over $10 for an oil filter unless it's for some special newer import engine.

Went with the Mopar at Wallyworld for $6.50 Would have liked to have bought the SuperTech filter. But, they only carried the shorter filter. Which, I no longer want to use a shorter filter.

Last edited:
What’s a common / cheap small block oil filter that can be found at Walmart ? Besides, Fram
I converted away from the 90* filter adapter so I use a WIX 51085 shorty filter.
I f you every took apart a Fram filter you would never by another one.

I am using the wix 51515 but wonder if I should switch to the wix 51515R.... believe it has a bypass for when a higher flow is needed. (I dont race but do like to get my foot into the 340 ;)
any thoughts on if the version with the bypass function helps keep the engine lubricated at high rpms/ hard acceleration?

I am using the wix 51515 but wonder if I should switch to the wix 51515R.... believe it has a bypass for when a higher flow is needed. (I dont race but do like to get my foot into the 340 ;)
any thoughts on if the version with the bypass function helps keep the engine lubricated at high rpms/ hard acceleration?
The race filter (51515R) is meant for super high flow, (as in high flow dry sump oil systems) which means the filter is more pourus and won’t filter as much dust crap out as the standard 51515 filter. Think about racing, the motor is running in the upper 2/3s of the power band for an extended amount of time with a very pourus air filter or no air filter unlike a street car. If your only running your car 500-1000 miles and then doing an oil change, run the R filter, otherwise run the standard filter.

If I'm going to buy a cheap Wal Mart filter, I get a Motorcraft FL1A. It's a long filter with an anti drain back valve. I take a gray scuff pad and remove the Ford jibberish off of it and put a Mopar Performance sticker on it after I put it on and tighten it down. I will only buy one of those if the NAPA store is closed, and I can't get a NAPA Gold/Wix.

You can buy the Mopar 090 (Mopar P/N 5281090) filter at Walmart.
In addition, you can also use a Mopar 409 (Mopar P/N 4105409) oil filter as well.
Yes, the 409 filter is shorter and skinnier, but it screws on and seals to the housing properly. Great if you're dealing with clearance issues.

-
Back