71 Duster
383 10 to 1 CR (stock heads)
727 TF (2800 stall converter)
4.10 dana 60
Schumacher headers
28 inch tire
650 cfm Demon Carb V/S
Edelbrock Performer dual plane manifold
not a daily driver, car shows, cruise ins, weekend warrior occasional strip time
2800 stall converter

Comp cam recommends
21-227-4 Extreme Energy
.525/.525 lift
duration @50 231 Intake, 237 Exhaust
Lobe separation 110 degrees
2000-5800 rpm
Any thoughts? or just go ahead and order it Thanks

Last edited:
Jake, Not why Comp but why not Comp? While there are probably a hundred different cams that would fit his application by 10-15 different cam companies, his question you didn’t answer but ratherly quizzed him. And I get why, but his perameters seem rather, well, no offense to anyone, but narrow.

Sabre67, you do realize that head work may be in order and with that lift, clearances could be an issue. What pistons do you have and at what deck height OF you know?

Otherwise, that cam would be a fine fit for your description. Also, your stock torque converter will not work well with that increased duration cam.

Jake, Not why Comp but why not Comp? While there are probably a hundred different cams that would fit his application by 10-15 different cam companies, his question you didn’t answer but ratherly quizzed him. And I get why, but his perameters seem rather, well, no offense to anyone, but narrow.

Sabre67, you do realize that head work may be in order and with that lift, clearances could be an issue. What pistons do you have and at what deck height OF you know?

Otherwise, that cam would be a fine fit for your description. Also, your stock torque converter will not work well with that increased duration cam.
Sorry forgot to mention converter 2800 stall, what lift would work with stock heads?

You’ll have to find a guy that has used THAT cam on THAT engine and THAT head

Or

Measure it up yourself as to what lift the head can handle. Ask your machinist has handle this combo before.

I’m very sorry I can’t be of more help on this specific combo.

You’ll have to find a guy that has used THAT cam on THAT engine and THAT head

Or

Measure it up yourself as to what lift the head can handle. Ask your machinist has handle this combo before.
ok thanks for reply

Because if you know that much about your engine you’re a lot farther ahead and in my opinion you could make a few calls to reputable cam grinders and have exactly what you need but, That’s a coin toss I’m not going to call.

Jake

I am the first one to give a green light to a good old school grind that's reliable, been around a long time and works. But, in this case I ask, why that particular grind? That's the Comp Magnum cam. They've been around since dirt. I would go for something a little more modern. I think one of the Mopar Purple cams would probably even be better, or certainly one of the VooDoo grinds.

But if you really want to nail it, go with a custom grind cut for your engine.

This is a great MoPar specific (.904" lifter only) cam for street use. 15 years ago, I used one (XE275HL) in a MoPar 360 shortblock (came with a .508" PurpleShaft, too big for the customer's application) and Edelbrock heads. It ran fabulous and still does to this day. Great bottom end (his '72 Duster has 3.23 gears) and never-ending pull past 6000rpm. You will like it! I used a custom variant of the XE285HL in my 500+hp all iron 440 (same intake lobe, longer exhaust lobe on a 112*LSA). Very satisfied!!

-
Back