Comp cams xe268h for 318

-
You spent money on a bore gauge, on a budget rebuild?
You have calipers, you can cut a coat hanger to a little longer length, grind it to size and check bore taper cheap.

I carry a couple of cut to length coat hangers with me when searching for standard bore blocks at swap meats.
That is a good idea I bought these they where 12 bucks not exactly gonna break the bank. And I'm sure I can use them for other projects. One off the top of my head is valve guide clearance!

Screenshot_20181010-201212_eBay.jpg

How much money is it to bore a hole out your way?
I am just think that you are spending too much on the small things and that you need to reconsider your plan?
Not trying to be a jerk.
Mike.

How much money is it to bore a hole out your way?
I am just think that you are spending too much on the small things and that you need to reconsider your plan?
Not trying to be a jerk.
Mike.
Boring the hole isn't the issue. Boring is around 150-200 new pistons 300, pressing new pistons to rods 100, balancing new pistons 300 + unknown expenses. That is upwards of 1000$$$ unfortantly I dont have a 1k. So I'm just trying to use what iv got for now I'm gonna try and clean up the 318 bores and stick to the original plan. I really havent spent much on the little things like I said I bought a bearing tool for the cam bearing for 68 bucks I'm sure I can resale it and 12 bucks on those measuring tools and 26 on a hone. Alot cheaper than 1000$ lol

I hear you on how the money adds up in a big hurry!
How much for a junkyard engine?
I know that in some places they are worth a small fortune and other places like where I live I can get a running 360 mag for about 600$CDN. Cheaper if I shop around.

I hear you on how the money adds up in a big hurry!
How much for a junkyard engine?
I know that in some places they are worth a small fortune and other places like where I live I can get a running 360 mag for about 600$CDN. Cheaper if I shop around.
I can probably find a 318 out of an 80s truck for less than 500. I may end up taking that route but for now I'm gonna try and salvage the 318 I have. I should get my hone by Monday and I will get the crank and pistons yanked out and try it. I may be able to find a useable 318 block cheaper and use my rotating assembly if its pitted to deep to save.

I can probably find a 318 out of an 80s truck for less than 500. I may end up taking that route but for now I'm gonna try and salvage the 318 I have. I should get my hone by Monday and I will get the crank and pistons yanked out and try it. I may be able to find a useable 318 block cheaper and use my rotating assembly if its pitted to deep to save.

If you take your time the block you have should hone out enough to get it running.
Tip, tape the cam bearings up to keep the grit out of them.

If you take your time the block you have should hone out enough to get it running.
Tip, tape the cam bearings up to keep the grit out of them.
Thanks for the support! I got my hone today. I'm gonna try and get the crank and pistons out and start honing on it. I will follow up with pictures.

Thanks for the support! I got my hone today. I'm gonna try and get the crank and pistons out and start honing on it. I will follow up with pictures.
You will be there for days honing even a few thousands out of one hole but if you hone too much you will have too much piston to bore clearance which is a negative thing.

You will be there for days honing even a few thousands out of one hole but if you hone too much you will have too much piston to bore clearance which is a negative thing.
Yea i have done some research on the piston to bore tolerance. And found that .01 is the manufacturer max I think most people say .015 will run tho. I cleaned them out today and only have two that are rough to the touch. The rest cleaned up with scotch brite.

Here's a article about honing. This shop leaves .003 for final hone and piston fit. If you have a spring loaded hone and not a rigid hone, you are using the wrong tool. Spring loaded hones are just for glaze breaking only.

Yea i have done some research on the piston to bore tolerance. And found that .01 is the manufacturer max I think most people say .015 will run tho. I cleaned them out today and only have two that are rough to the touch. The rest cleaned up with scotch brite.
.01 is 10 thousandths of an inch. Way too much.

Just looked it up again I was wrong I have to many numbers in my head Haha. .001 Is the min .005 is the max with .0015 being common. I had the general idea right just the wrong number

use good hone oil
no wd40 it embeds the particles instead of flushing them so does solvent
you can always knur the non thrust side of the pistons
Brush research websiete has/had some great honing articles

use good hone oil
I'm gonna use tap magic cutting oil use it for alot of stuff.

use good hone oil
Just remember though, Brush Research bead hones are just glaze breakers or used for surface texture.

I'm researching local junkyards now trying to find a block just in case.

Keep in mind, you just need something that runs, clean the other two holes up, and put it together with file to fit rings.
I done this alot of times when I was a kid and could not afford a bore job or pistons.

I am a junk yard type build person, I am getting ready to build a twin turbo, el-chepo build, out of an 318, the engine has siezed from sitting.
Plan on just getting it freed up, tank the block, new cam bearings, polish or turn the crank.
Dingle ball hone the cylinders.
File fit the piston rings, with extra gap for boost,
I have a stock set of J heads, that will have a nice valve job.
The same summit cam you just sold.
I will have less than $1000 in the engine, minus the turbo stuff.
I am doing this just for an experiment to see what I can get away with, before building one of my good engines.

I am going to try to blow it up. But it may stay together if I keep the boost under 10 lbs.

Keep in mind, you just need something that runs, clean the other two holes up, and put it together with file to fit rings.
I done this alot of times when I was a kid and could not afford a bore job or pistons.

I am a junk yard type build person, I am getting ready to build a twin turbo, el-chepo build, out of an 318, the engine has siezed from sitting.
Plan on just getting it freed up, tank the block, new cam bearings, polish or turn the crank.
Dingle ball hone the cylinders.
File fit the piston rings, with extra gap for boost,
I have a stock set of J heads, that will have a nice valve job.
The same summit cam you just sold.
I will have less than $1000 in the engine, minus the turbo stuff.
I am doing this just for an experiment to see what I can get away with, before building one of my good engines.

I am going to try to blow it up. But it may stay together if I keep the boost under 10 lbs.
Is the dingle ball hone better for "cleaning" the bores up? I bought the spring type I got a cheap one it came with 3 different grits. They are very soft I thought it was gonna be more like a knife sharpener stone but they are very soft and gritty. How bad is to bad when it comes to a junkyard engine? If I can feel it? Or see it? I have one polished with some scotch brite and it looks dark but feels pretty smooth. I am positive it (yours) will not blow. 318s are super tough it will take it lol. I'm gonna get some molly rings Hopefully that will help it seal a little better.
Iv been looking on Facebook and local listings for cheap 318s hopefully I can find a cheap one with better bores before I start reassembling lol if not I'm gonna slap it together. Just curious can you run a la intake on a later magnum engine?

-
Back