Comp Pro mag lifters

-

MomsDuster

Reaction score
Ok got one for the smart guys here. I got a 440 with a Comp XE275HL cam. I’m installing the Comp Pro Magnum lifters. Had 2 of the regular Comp lifters fail. The question is when I got my geometry correcting kit and roller tip rockers from Mike at B3 he recommended 0 lash + 1 turn for the (.050) preload setting. The new lifter instructions are recommending 1/8 turn. By my math that is .00625” of preload. Is my math off? Or is that right? Seems like next to nothing for preload. Is there something in how the lifter works that’s different from the others?

Ok got one for the smart guys here. I got a 440 with a Comp XE275HL cam. I’m installing the Comp Pro Magnum lifters. Had 2 of the regular Comp lifters fail. The question is when I got my geometry correcting kit and roller tip rockers from Mike at B3 he recommended 0 lash + 1 turn for the (.050) preload setting. The new lifter instructions are recommending 1/8 turn. By my math that is .00625” of preload. Is my math off? Or is that right? Seems like next to nothing for preload. Is there something in how the lifter works that’s different from the others?
Why do you think this lifters are going to be any better than the ones you are replacing?
I recommend you research issues with hydraulic liftesr here on the forum before you spend any money.

I used the Comp Cams anti-pump up lifters for the LA motors. Running for 3 years without issue. 65'

Why do you think this lifters are going to be any better than the ones you are replacing?
I recommend you research issues with hydraulic liftesr here on the forum before you spend any money.
I went with these because the cup seat is .040 lower than the regular comps and I wasn’t liking that most of the lifters were at zero lash when I bolted down the rockers with the adjusters backed all the way out. Also, I’ve done some reading and folks seem to have had good results and liked them.

I went with these because the cup seat is .040 lower than the regular comps and I wasn’t liking that most of the lifters were at zero lash when I bolted down the rockers with the adjusters backed all the way out. Also, I’ve done some reading and folks seem to have had good results and liked them.
Pushrod size is your problem then. It’s Supposed to show 1 1/2 to 2 threads.

Jake

Last edited:
Eat talk to B3 about this issue being the cup is deeper and new ya rods are what you need.

If it was a I don’t care thing, just get longer pushrods, but you did spend money with Mike to get the most out of what your running, why go backwards?

What's the thread pitch of your adjusters?
7/16-20 or .050” per turn

Eat talk to B3 about this issue being the cup is deeper and new ya rods are what you need.

If it was a I don’t care thing, just get longer pushrods, but you did spend money with Mike to get the most out of what your running, why go backwards?
I did just that, I talked with Mike yesterday, it was an extensive conversation but the highlights were that he recommended that I disassemble and clean the lifters. He said that the majority of lifter “failures” is dirt. And seeing that this is a fairly new build that it more likely to some small break in material that is causing the lifter “failure”. He also stated with these rockers that he doesn’t want to see more than 1-1 1/2 turns in total on the adjusters. Notice he said turns not threads showing. These are cup style adjusters not ball style. So bottom line is clean lifters, change oil and filter, prime the engine, bump it over, continue priming. Stoping and looking for lifters that loose prime rapidly and repeat. Unless there are any blatantly obvious offenders then run it.

They were loosing prime after a few minutes. And yes, I’ll be cleaning them all and they as well as the pushrods have been kept in order. :thumbsup:
When you say they were" loosing prime", was this during the engine actually running of with the engine off - not running? Or both?

After shutting down, I know that that can be normal overnight with the spring pressure, but this was rather quickly.

After shutting down, I know that that can be normal overnight with the spring pressure, but this was rather quickly.
That is what is happening to my retro fit Comp rollers.
They loose prime when the engine is shut down for some time, for sure over night.
I have chased this for a long time and have come to the conclusion that they are cheap ill fitted parts and are of poor quality.
Too many people having this issue to be a contamination problem.
Please keep us up to date on your findings and I will do the same.

i think junk in the lifter would not cause the issue-but it is a good idea to check. probably is excessive plunger to wall clearance

Well here’s the latest. I cleaned all the lifters. There was a bit of super fine deposits down at the very bottom of the lifters in the check ball area. Reinstalled, adjusted and changed the oil and filter. So far so good. Been driving the car for a while using it for all my daily needs and not a peep from the lifters. Once again a big shout-out to Mike @B3RE B3 Racing Engines LLC - Mopar Rocker Arm Geometry Tech for all his insight and support. Awesome customer service! Now for this whole “Corona” thing to pass to go out and really enjoy this jalopy again. Thanks to all who replied. With any luck this may help some other folks here with similar issues.

Last edited:
Well here’s the latest. I cleaned all the lifters. There was a bit of super fine deposits down at the very bottom of the lifters in the check ball area. Reinstalled, adjusted and changed the oil and filter. So far so good. Been driving the car for a while using it for all my daily needs and not a peep from the lifters. Once again a big shout-out to Mike @B3RE for all his insight and support. Awesome customer service! Now for this whole “Corona” thing to pass to go out and really enjoy this jalopy again. Thanks to all who replied. With any luck this may help some other folks here with similar issues.
Glad you are making headway.
Please report back periodically to let us know how it's going.

back in the day a friend did " rings , bearings and gaskets " rebuild at the high school auto shop on his cool 401 Javelin 4 speed . he reused the cam and disassembled and cleaned the lifters-interesting. of course gearheads must go better on CAM.

..... The new lifter instructions are recommending 1/8 turn. By my math that is .00625” of preload. Is my math off? Or is that right? Seems like next to nothing for preload. Is there something in how the lifter works that’s different from the others?

Bingo! Comp's Pro-Magnums are a different animal and call for (IIRC) .002-.004 warm preload. You don't set them the same way as traditional-style lifters...

-
Back