Compatibility

-

Penstarpurist

Reaction score
I have a quick question. Not being really familiar with the 4spd compatibility side. Theres a guy selling a 4 spd that he's been told is out of a late 60's A-body. No linkages, just transmission. C95664j is on the shifter side along with 3-7, c95639u on the passenger side. Tailshaft has C95658P along with 8-17 4 bolt yoke hanging out the tail. Is this a 4 spd A-body, will it work in 70-76 A-bodies? Third, is it worth $250 if it is all he says and fits my needs?

He doesn't know condition. Here is a pic of the transmissions he has listed. Two he says are g.m the other an A-body.
00N0N_1Op1YjRSpQk_600x450.jpg

Yea that is a early A 4 speed A833, $250 is a steal. Does it turn nice ?

That is not a late sixties transmission. The trunnion on the end of the output shaft tells you that. I believe 1964 or 65 was the last year that was used. So if you want to use that transmission in your duster you'll have to find an old drive shaft with the trunnion on it so you can Cobble two drive shafts together to make one.
If you pulled a side cover off and inspect the transmission and check it all over real good and it turns out that it is a good transmission it is worth $250. Just not a transmission I would buy to put in my Dart Sport or Duster.

He doesn't know condition. Here is a pic of the transmissions he has listed. Two he says are g.m the other an A-body. View attachment 1715322441
Yeah he's been advertising those on and off for some time now. Also it looks early 60s as it doesn't have a slip yoke. And how's the permanent tail shaft piece. I think it's garbage that's been laying out too long but that's just me. there's plenty of people selling overdrive transmissions in our area for $300... I think I've even seen some regular 4 speeds for about $600. Of course not when you're looking for them....

I think I will pass on it. I think your right, it's not going to work for what I would use it for. And I don't need a doorstop for that price. And a conversion kit is more money out, when spending $600 on one that will work from the get go seems better spent time and money. Lol. Thanks

I think I will pass on it. I think your right, it's not going to work for what I would use it for. And I don't need a doorstop for that price. And a conversion kit is more money out, when spending $600 on one that will work from the get go seems better spent time and money. Lol. Thanks
also if you happen to fall upon a good working transmission you'll need the bellhousing the shifter the linkage the floor hump the peddles and a few other things I'm not remembering...

Sounds better to start with a factory spd roller car then.
if it's your goal to have a four-speed I would just start collecting things as you find them. There's a bell housing for 250 and see if you can get him to throw in the throw out bearing fork and the boot. See if you can find a shifter and linkage. They sell floor humps aftermarket I'm pretty sure that you can still find them for 75 bucks or so. Start looking for the 4 speed pedals they both right in no problem. You can slowly gradually get the things and when you see a good deal on the correct force-feed grab that. Unless you have it like that then go ahead and call Brewers and order the whole damn thing. either way it's going to cost a little bit but in the end you won't regret one dime...

I have a bell and trunion driveshaft if you change your mind.

If you need a part, you need a part.
I shipped a complete rebuilt A body 4-speed to CA.

My buddy has a 72 duster I think it is factory 3 spd floor shift manual transmission, transmission needs rebuilding. Factory v8(318), bucket seats, etc. Wants like $3200, I don't know if I could get it done much cheaper than that buying parts along the way. Maybe though. I think if I do another A-body anything I want to start with a demon this time. I was interested in the manual trans if it were the right style, great price, etc. Nothing in the works as far as a 4 spd project, yet. I would have bought it, shelved it until the day came I had or was ready to do a 4spd. That said, I know one will come along that is too good too pass up and I will have one then. Always happens when you are least expecting it.

That early Mopar box probably has a 3.09 low gearSET in it. This is 16% lower than the regular 2.66 low set. that right there is worth going from 3.55s to 4.10s; in first gear. Or conversely, if fuel economy is important; lets you run 16% less rear gear and so 16% less rpm on the hiway. This is like a hi-stall for the manual trans. The other ratios are the same, allbeit you cannot swap any gears between them except the M/S first gear. They are 3.09-1.92-1.40-1.00.
Check these starter gears out out;
the standard ratio;2.66x3.55=9.44 ..cruises at 65=2870
For performance; 3.09x3.55=10.97. cruises at same
and for economy; 3.09x3.23=9.98 .. cruises at 65=2510.
or...................... 3.09x2.94=9.08 .. cruises at 65=2370

So if that box has the 3.09 set in it; then for the additional cost of a m/s and tail house, you're in business.
This 3.09 low-SET becomes more important with smaller engines and engines with soft bottom ends (low-cylinder pressure). But even my Hi-torque-367 engine likes it. My winter engine; a smogger-teen loved it. I think I'll never go back to a 2.66low set . The 1-2 rpm drop (62%) feels just right, with my 3.55s.
IMO $250 is maybe not exactly a steal , but I've paid more for less; probably many of us have. If it had the later slip yoke I would agree on it being a steal. I wouldn't sell mine for that.
If you don't already have a floor-hole, and do have bucket seats, then you could consider making it a long-tail and put the shifter closer to where it needs to be, back between the buckets and up high; shifting will be a dream.

Last edited:
-
Back