Computer Compatible Cam w/Carb

Discussion in 'Small Block Mopar Engine' started by hoosierdaddy, Feb 13, 2018.

1. hoosierdaddy

hoosierdaddy FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    3:57 PM
    Wanting to know if there are any major draw backs to using a carburetor on a motor with a computer compatible cam ?

2. jbc426

jbc426 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:57 PM
    So called "Computer Compatible" cams are ground to maintain a high intake vacuum at idle and minimize the raw fuel that goes out the exhaust during the valves overlapping event.

Would a different grind give you more performance? It depends on your combination. Will it work? Of course. It has no idea you are using a carb, so go right ahead.

Once manifold vacuum at idle is lowered beyond a certain point by larger grinds with increased duration and subsequent increased overlap, the stock JTEC computers (Mopar ECM's) can not self-adjust the fuel trim parameters enough with the stock tuning that's programmed into them.

You can reprogram the stock computers to run with a very low manifold vacuum, large duration & overlap cam grinds and even larger injectors. That is what I had to do with the cam in my '68 EFI'd 408 using the stock computer.

3. hoosierdaddy

hoosierdaddy FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    Kind of what I was thinking but I wanted to hear it from someone more knowledgeable than me . Thanks

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • roccodart440

roccodart440 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Other than potentially leaving some power on the table, no. It would work quite nicely for a driver for the reasons jbc426 mentioned

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1