Confusion with steering column lower bearing

-

ESP47

Reaction score
I noticed the factory lower bearing was toast on my 68 Barracuda floor shift column so I bought one of the bearings from 72blunblu's how to article.

The column basically has the main column housing and then it has a metal tube inside of that and inside of that metal tube is the column shaft. The factory design had a spring that went on the end of that metal tube and then the factory bushing was pressed up into the housing and then held in place by two screws.

I went ahead and installed the spring and pressed the new bushing onto the column shaft and then up into the housing. It was tight but it fit. Then I started turning the column shaft and you could just hear it obnoxiously banging against the metal tube inside the housing. So I figured that maybe the factory bearing had a provisioning to hold that inner tube in place to keep it from making contact against the shaft but it doesn't seem to. Now it seems to have this problem even when I put the original bearing back in.

Anyone know how the inner tube is supposed to held in place and if it's supposed to be locked in position or sort of floating in there the way mine seems to be?

This is the only picture I have of it for reference but it's the upper part of the tube.

IMG_20221114_212030267_HDR.jpg

telescoping rod, maybe the pin came out? The 2 metal shafts should be 1 unit locked with the shear pin. did yours get separated?
1668532570531.png

telescoping rod, maybe the pin came out? The 2 metal shafts should be 1 unit locked with the shear pin. did yours get separated?
View attachment 1716010861

I'll try and get it completely apart to look tonight. Are you talking about pin 19-46-44 in that diagram or is it in a different area? I don't think that pin or even a provision for it exists on my column but I'll have to take another look.

-
Back