Connecting Rods

-

Sterling

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It has been awhile since I put a stock rebuild together. I got a bunch of parts laying around, so I am putting together a 340. TRW stock replacement pistons, .030 over. Stock rods that were rebushed and honed with new rod bolts. But the holes were not drilled for piston pin oiling. The bushings have holes in them. Do they still drill the holes in the connecting rods, or is it not necessary ?

It has been awhile since I put a stock rebuild together. I got a bunch of parts laying around, so I am putting together a 340. TRW stock replacement pistons, .030 over. Stock rods that were rebushed and honed with new rod bolts. But the holes were not drilled for piston pin oiling. The bushings have holes in them. Do they still drill the holes in the connecting rods, or is it not necessary ?

Some people do, some don't. I always liked doing it, but I honestly think it works alright either way.

you can always drill the piston from the oil ring to the pin or other piston mod
if a truck i'd drill the rods
running any rpm you shoud have enough splash
but not hard to drill the rods and bearings
make a jig from an old rod

Thanks for the replies. I think I will set up my drill press and drill them myself. I was going to try to lighten the pistons myself, so I might see if I can drill the pistons too. Just a street engine, so I think it can't hurt.

Over 40 years ago before I started doing most my local speed shop would drill the hole in my rod then after it was drilled took a chamfering bit and put a nice chamfer on the hole. Pretty slick 30 second mod.

-
Back