console carpet and mounting screws

-

burdar

Owen's Dad
Reaction score
This might be the dumb question of the day but my car didn't have any carpet in it when I bought it. None on the floor and none on the console.

The console is attached to the floor with 4 screws.(2 inside the storage compartment and 2 at the front on either side) Are the front screws supposed to be installed "through" the carpet or installed before the carpet is glued onto the sides?

I looked at the consoles of every A-body I saw at two shows this past weekend and didn't see any visible screws showing however, the carpet wasn't installed very nicely on most of them. It seems weird that the carpet would be glued on top of the mounting screws. That would make removal difficult.

The rusty screws I removed from the front mounting locations were chrome philips head screws with a tapered head. No washers were under the screw heads. Is that correct? I've seen some people use those tapered washers under the screws.

The screws go through the carpet
Here are the two different screws (factory)...
2020-09-20_001.jpg

2020-09-20_002.jpg

2020-09-20_003.jpg

2020-09-20_004.jpg

Alan

So, the tapered washers on the chrome screws are correct?

So, the tapered washers on the chrome screws are correct?
Yes, they are common trim cone washers (they are stamped). This is the factory original hardware from my 67.
If you search for trim screws you should be able to find them

Alan

Thanks...appreciate it! I'm sure I have some of those washers sitting around somewhere.

I glued the carpet to the console first, marked where the front screws go, then installed the screws once the console was mounted (1" screws, no washers). Since my carpet is brown, I got some brown model paint and painted the screw heads so they just disappear.

There wasn't a lot of hardware hiding back then. Screw heads showing everywhere. They did make a chrome screw in the upper door disappear for 1968 model, and put a color keyed plastic plug in that hole. They added another screw to the rally instrument bezel at same time.
Most of my console shirt is glued. Some of it is attached with hook and loop (Velcro). I can peel it back to access the shift indicator lamp and hide the screws too.

-
Back