Console shifter pivot brackets - Info

-

RPM

Superior Member
Reaction score
Hey people
I need some schooling on these console shifter pivot brackets.
I need to know which body classes these came off of, or which transmissions.
904/ 727a / 727b
Exhibit "A" I believe is off a "A" body

Exhibit "B" I believe is off a "B" body.

Yes ? No ? Whats the scoop.

Let me know as this knowledge may benefit a few !

Exhibit "A"
P1030993.jpg

Exhibit "B"
P1030994.jpg

Exhibits "A" and "B"
P1030995.jpg

-RPM

Exhibit "A" is indeed an A body piece. I have 2 of exhibit A, one from a 66 car and one from a 73 car and they are both the same as exhibit A. Not sure about exhibit "B", Geof

Here's my input RPM and my 2cents. Exhibit B is an E-Body bracket. B's may be the same???

My A-Body bracket is a 904 / 340 and here's a pic.........

Attachments

• 904 Tranny Bracket 001.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 375
ok thanks people !
I was sure the Exhibit " A" was correct.
I wasnt sure about the Exhibit "B"
Thanks for the input on that 6pk. Are we pretty positive that "B" is for a "E" body ? I might need to post that for a pic confirmation over on the E-body site.

-RPM

"Positive" is a tough word when it comes to Mopar linkage! Posting that on FEBO is probably a good idea. Keep in mind that the E-Body and B-Body cars shared the same plastic center consoles and T-handle shifters 71-74, so them being the same brackets is a natural assumption.......

I believe these brackets are being reproduced in the aftermarket now, but I have never looked for them myself. You may try going that route also for confirmation.

It has to do with which transmission not body style. Exhibit A is for a 727....B is for a 904.

It has to do with which transmission not body style. Exhibit A is for a 727....B is for a 904.

hmmm :scratch: So you're saying there are only 2 of these for A,B or E body cars? Exhibit B will not fit my A-Body 904. It looks similar, but the bend is wrong. Your input is appreciated, as I believe you have access to a few of these 8)

hmmm :scratch: So you're saying there are only 2 of these for A,B or E body cars? Exhibit B will not fit my A-Body 904. It looks similar, but the bend is wrong. Your input is appreciated, as I believe you have access to a few of these 8)
You got me thinking a bit more too so I did more investigating and.....I think it might be more of a year thing. I have a '66 A-body w/904 and a '66 B-body w/727 and they have the same "A" bracket but the '72 B-body w/727 has the "B" bracket. The only real difference it the "B" bracket swings down a bit lower than the "A" bracket. I'm not sure when they changed over but there are two versions of the "A" bracket. The early one has a rubber grommet with a metal clip and the later has only a plastic bushing. I'll check a couple more sources and add more info as I get it.

Great info CM ... please let us know what you come up with.

-RPM
I checked my parts books and see the same part number for the "A" bracket (2660401) from '66 through '70 all models, and '71 A-bodies only, regardless of transmission. They then show the "B" bracket (3467717) starting in '71 on B,C,& E bodies on all transmissions. I don't have the '72-6 passenger car parts books so I'm not sure how long they continued, but, by 1977, both numbers are no longer listed as current.

Well, as stated in my above post, I have 2 of the "A" bracket on the bench, one is from a 66 Cuda, 273 with 904 trans, the other is from a 73 Dart Sport, 340 with 727 trans. Both are the same bracket. Go figure!!! Heres a picture of both, side by side. So, you tell me, which is the 904 piece and which is the 727 piece and why!!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_2758.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 358
Here's some add'l info from the Mopar books. Feel free to correct this if you find different info.

72 & 73 A-Body used the 2660401

72 & 73 B & E Body used the 3467717

74 & 75 A, B & E used the 3467717

Here's a pic of the 3467717 taking the same view as cosgig's pic to help eliminate confusion of the differences in these brackets.

Attachments

• Console Shift Linkage B & E Body 3467717 002.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 330
ok this is good stuff.... I think we are getting closer to getting it all sorted.
Thanks people !

-RPM

It might be the camera angle but this doesn't look quite right to me.
Wouldn't the bends and the off centered hole position be meant to align the bushing with the shaft ?

Attachments

• 904 Tranny Bracket 001.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 313
I think it's the camera angle thats confusing. Here's a better pic.

Attachments

• Console To Trans Bracket 006.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 308
My A-Body 904's don't have those ears on the tailshaft housing to mount one of those brackets to. What gives?

And the 727 that's currently in my '74 Duster doesn't either (the 727 came from a 1-Ton Van) So I made a bracket that bolted to the transmission crossmember instead. That being said, a 1970 Challenger Slapstik Shifter and complete linkage, torque shaft, etc dropped right in like it was made to fit my duster. Even fit inside the A-Body Console (after removing the Slapstik top plate/indicator plate)

My A-Body 904's don't have those ears on the tailshaft housing to mount one of those brackets to. What gives?

Are you sure they're from A body's? Truck/van etc. ones use different tailshafts w/o that boss as their original applications never used floor shifters.

And the 727 that's currently in my '74 Duster doesn't either (the 727 came from a 1-Ton Van)

Truck/van trans didnt use floor shifts, so, no bosses on their tailshafts.

So I made a bracket that bolted to the transmission crossmember instead. That being said, a 1970 Challenger Slapstik Shifter and complete linkage, torque shaft, etc dropped right in like it was made to fit my duster. Even fit inside the A-Body Console (after removing the Slapstik top plate/indicator plate)

Good workaround.

Well, as stated in my above post, I have 2 of the "A" bracket on the bench, one is from a 66 Cuda, 273 with 904 trans, the other is from a 73 Dart Sport, 340 with 727 trans. Both are the same bracket. Go figure!!! Heres a picture of both, side by side. So, you tell me, which is the 904 piece and which is the 727 piece and why!!! Geof

...............727 TOP...........904 BOTTOM.....has rubber bushing and where it bolts on the bend is less...........kim........

Kim...see post 18...thats an original '67 273 Dart GT floor shift car. Everyone says its the other style for that application, as below..

Attachments

• ConsoleShiftBracket.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 203
I used to think that there was a difference between the 904 and 727 but it appears I've been wrong on this for most of my life. My recent research shows that it may be that one bracket is used for all "ball type" shifters (66-76 A body, 66-70 B body and 70 E body) and one bracket for the "T" handle shifters (71-74 E body and 71-74 B body).
I'm still not certain enough about this to claim it as indisputable fact.
904727difference2.jpg

-
Back