Conversion driveshaft /6-904-8 3/4

-

Skeeter007

Skeeter007
Reaction score
Good morning,

I going to ask if anyone has gone down this route before.
Scenario. I'm building a BB (440) 71 Scamp. While I'm building the engine I will be driving the car with the current setup.
Slant (225) 904 with an 8 3/4 (489,3.55). I can't be the only one that has gone this route. Anyone finish their build and have this driveshaft? Anyone have measurements? If not we'll get under it and measure up and cut the current shaft and use the conversion U-joint.
We'll be pulling the 7 1/4 out in the spring.

Follow the build here
Slow build 71 Scamp 440

You say you are driving with the 8 3/4 and then pulling the 7 1/4 in the spring?

News Flash, the factory built A bodies with /6-904 & an 8.75 axle... Driveshaft should be 52"

Look in the FSM and the parts book. The CL to CL dimensions are there.

But measure twice cut once.

Best is to assemble with /6 904 and after 8 3/4 is in, get it on all 4 tires with typical weight ( IE seats, gas in the tank etc) and measure. If the measurements are correct for what is posted here and in the FSM / parts book, you are good to go.

I assume you will be using a 727 with the 440 and that tail shaft MIGHT be different with respect to drive shaft length.

Look in the FSM and the parts book. The CL to CL dimensions are there.

But measure twice cut once.

Best is to assemble with /6 904 and after 8 3/4 is in, get it on all 4 tires with typical weight ( IE seats, gas in the tank etc) and measure. If the measurements are correct for what is posted here and in the FSM / parts book, you are good to go.

I assume you will be using a 727 with the 440 and that tail shaft MIGHT be different with respect to drive shaft length.
I’ll be going this route if I can’t find someone that went down this route and possibly has a shaft from this exact setup. I’ll be using a 727. When this is over I’ll post the shaft for sale. It’s really handy for those that want to ready their car for a BB and drive it while upgrading. For me it was rear springs then front end disc and BBP from there we go to the rear then drop the 440/727 in one go. I’ve gotten to use the car with minimal downtime. I do have a shaft for that combo in my possession. 440-727-8 3/4

Exellent News Flash. Is that from centre of U-joint cup to U-joint cup? 7260 shaft to 7290 pinion yoke? Thanks for the added information. :thumbsup:
Originally it would be 7260 at both ends on an A body but if you need a 7290 it could be built that way... Personally when I need a driveshaft I try to find a C body shaft & have it cut down...

And yes the measurement should be center to center...

Originally it would be 7260 at both ends on an A body but if you need a 7290 it could be built that way... Personally when I need a driveshaft I try to find a C body shaft & have it cut down...

And yes the measurement should be center to center...

I'm going to cut down the A-body shaft if I can't find one done already. Long shot but you never know. When I put the power to the rear with the 440 I'll use my A-body BB drive shaft that came from a gentleman on here who ran the same combination before upgrading shafts.

-
Back