Conversion to intermittent wipers

-
I really wish I could get intermittent wipers to work on my cuda, but alas I have the 3-speed variable and it doesn't work due to the park function of the motor.

so, with this switch, how in the world would you wire it in?

When intermitant wipers were invented, it was quite a engineering achievement. There was no transistors let alone Integrated Circuits. Now not hard if you really want them. MT

When I worked at a Ford dealership I replaced a bunch of their variable delay controllers. At failure wipers either would not run at all or would not stop running. I don't want those type of headaches in my classic.
In my 67 notch I needed only a scothlock connecting 2 wires to create a substitute. One push on "push to wash" feature gets one sweep from wipers. of course the electric washer pump wash disconnected. I planned to install the foot pump type washer system... never did.

I've got the Ron Francis version of that motor. I'm using it with a Dodge Neon wiper motor. 5 wire switch to 5 wire motor. Makes for an easier job.

Riddler

I was thinking to get Aspen parts for conversion. Worked fine when I had one. I'd like stock look with switch in turn signal lever.

I've got the Ron Francis version of that motor. I'm using it with a Dodge Neon wiper motor. 5 wire switch to 5 wire motor. Makes for an easier job.

Riddler

How hard is it to install a Neon wiper motor into a 68 Barracuda? And if done, do you have to use the controls on the steering column stalk for a Neon?

I think im on a mission! Get easy kit put togather using stock, stock looking and readily avaible stuff from late model cars. MT

I have to admit that the neon motor looks a lot like my motor in the Barracuda.

Neon

Barracuda

$_35.JPG

so, with this switch, how in the world would you wire it in?

I have the diagram for my truck, that sure helped. I can scan it in a future post.

The new switch has 6 leads: motor hi, motor lo, washer, park, power in, ground.

The stock switch: motor hi, motor lo, washer, power in, park1, park2

1. Connect the new switch ground to ground.
2. Connect the obvious ones: motor hi to motor hi, motor lo to motor lo, washer to washer, and Park to park1.
3. Connect the Park2 wire and new switch power in to the old Power in wire.

works as advertised

I know a diagram would help. Coming soon amigos.

Whoops, should say 'motor hi' and 'motor lo' on the diagram, not 'fan hi' or 'fan lo'. :eek:ops:

I am used to working with electric fans and routine took over.

So what specific motor is this hooked to? And it does work and park?

So what specific motor is this hooked to? And it does work and park?
The 2-speed motor on my 1980 D150. The switch is supposed to work with any 2-speed motor that parks.

Everything works, even pushing the Wash button pulses the wipers. Here is the diagram I had to work with...

Attachments

• wipers2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,305
Used the $10.00 intermittent external box I heard about on here on FABO, simple install and works great. did I mention $10.00?

If I remember correctly, it goes in line on the park wire from the wiper switch. it gives a signal of a second or two for park and you adjust the time between it sends the signal. And when off, the circuit is normally closed. Again, installed it a while ago, so I just installed it in line from the switch to the wiper, first wire did not work, second one did. plus it has it's own ground and acc power. Also used a left over window crank knob so looks like a factory option

I think the park is always hot, when in park, the contact disk opens at park position. So if the motor is turned on for a moment, it will rotate enough taking it off park gap, and park takes it around one rev to park again. It works this way on many wiper systems.

At the wiper manual way is quick on and off, gives one wiper stroke.

The 2-speed motor on my 1980 D150. The switch is supposed to work with any 2-speed motor that parks.

Everything works, even pushing the Wash button pulses the wipers. Here is the diagram I had to work with...

I know this is old, but I just did this on a 78 W150, but reversed P1 and P2 from the attached diagram. At least in 78, P1 should be always hot and P2 should go to the Park wire on the Cole Hersee switch. Check the continuity of your existing switch, but I think they used the same 2 speed switch for many years. With a standard 2 speed motor that doesn't reverse directions, you have an internal ground pole through the wiper motor frame, either A(low) or H is connected to B when the switch is on, P1 is always connected to B in all positions and continues to drive the motor when the switch is turned off until it returns to the park position and is disconnected. P2 doesn't do anything in the standard switch, but the CH 75600-04 switch uses the pulse for the intermittent function.

When intermitant wipers were invented, it was quite a engineering achievement. There was no transistors let alone Integrated Circuits. Now not hard if you really want them. MT
GM tried to steal the guy who invented intermittent wipers invention, he sued them and won big time

-
Back