Converter and gears

-

M.Bozz

Reaction score
I building a 64 dart for grudge type racing and mostly 1/8 stuff. Question is what stall and gear combo you think ?
Specs :
2700lb with big block
499 - 13.1 comp on E-85
Solid lift 28x/29x @50, 706-708 lift lsa 110 and a little spray
Power glide with 1.8 gear set
4-link with a Dana
Hoping to stay small tire, thanks guys

Contact any of the quality performance converter builders. Give them all your specs and see what they recommend. Contact more than one to get more than one opinion. This isn't going to be an inexpensive converter, but as I've said before, don't let price be your only guide. Quality does not come cheap.

Contact any of the quality performance converter builders. Give them all your specs and see what they recommend. Contact more than one to get more than one opinion. This isn't going to be an inexpensive converter, but as I've said before, don't let price be your only guide. Quality does not come cheap.
I've used Neil Chance on my other car but that was a way different animal than this one. Might be a silly question but I haven't seen a lot of big name tc company's like nc , ptc with the molar guys

Last edited:
I can't say which is the best company for you to deal with. There have been many on this board who have stated the good and the bad about various converter builders. You haven't said what engine you're using, MOPAR or GM with the powerglide behind it. Make sure you let the companies you contact, what engine you are using, and if you are using a mid-plate between the engine and trans. Anything can be made.
See what others say about the various companies and then spend some time comparing what these companies are offering you before you break out your credit card.

Talk to Lenny at ultimate converter concepts, this type of build is their bread and butter, he’ll be able to tell you what gear ratio to run with your combination goals, too.

I can't say which is the best company for you to deal with. There have been many on this board who have stated the good and the bad about various converter builders. You haven't said what engine you're using, MOPAR or GM with the powerglide behind it. Make sure you let the companies you contact, what engine you are using, and if you are using a mid-plate between the engine and trans. Anything can be made.
See what others say about the various companies and then spend some time comparing what these companies are offering you before you break out your credit card.
Info is listed but is 499 stocker mopar big block. Thank you for the info sir

Talk to Lenny at ultimate converter concepts, this type of build is their bread and butter, he’ll be able to tell you what gear ratio to run with your combination goals, too.
Thank you and I will look them up

I building a 64 dart for grudge type racing and mostly 1/8 stuff. Question is what stall and gear combo you think ?
Specs :
2700lb with big block
499 - 13.1 comp on E-85
Solid lift 28x/29x @50, 706-708 lift lsa 110 and a little spray
Power glide with 1.8 gear set
4-link with a Dana
Hoping to stay small tire, thanks guys

Good luck with what ever you do..............however I am some what mystified; after putting a combination like this and it looks stout; that you are clueless as to what would be appropriate for converter and gear

I'm dumber than a box of rocks...........I'll say 3.90's and 4500 rpm

Good luck with what ever you do..............however I am some what mystified; after putting a combination like this and it looks stout; that you are clueless as to what would be appropriate for converter and gear

I'm dumber than a box of rocks...........I'll say 3.90's and 4500 rpm
Ya kinda funny I'd admit. Last car was a twin turbo with twice the hp as this one and ran 142mph in the 1/8. This car now is more than half the budget and a big block mopar and also lighter than my last one. Most likely it's only going to be 700hp if I'm lucky so need it to more out

Last edited:
Keeping the combination small tire with that amount of engine makes proper converter selection that much more important, especially in the eighth, and nitrous adds a whole new factor into the blend. I am guessing the recommendation for gear is going to be in the 4.88-5.38 range if it is going eighth mile only.

Keeping the combination small tire with that amount of engine makes proper converter selection that much more important, especially in the eighth, and nitrous adds a whole new factor into the blend. I am guessing the recommendation for gear is going to be in the 4.88-5.38 range if it is going eighth mile only.
Ya that's the tricky part. The can fit up to a 31inch tire but don't want to be in the big tire class cause I will be way out powered and thanks on the cam, hoping to make some power

Last edited:
And the spray too, lol! The converter will probably have to be a little tighter than what would be normal for small tires even with the the 1.80 first to keep the nitrous hit from blowing the tires off and have to be tuned to keep from slipping excessively under nitrous too. Being a grudge/bracket car, look at NANO nitrous systems, nitrogen cap gas to maintain bottle pressure, much more consistent than the heat blankets that crutch other systems.

And the spray too, lol! The converter will probably have to be a little tighter than what would be normal for small tires even with the the 1.80 first to keep the nitrous hit from blowing the tires off and have to be tuned to keep from slipping excessively under nitrous too. Being a grudge/bracket car, look at NANO nitrous systems, nitrogen cap gas to maintain bottle pressure, much more consistent than the heat blankets that crutch other systems.
A few years back I did the nitrous thing even had my own scales and mother bottle with heaters and coolers. Also used the nano setup (only 300 shot ) frostbite 2 pistons and head damage.Then I found out about turbos lol. Only spraying a 150 shot or so

-
Back