Converter Hub Bearing

-

Curtiss50

Reaction score
I have a question. I have a 2007 Chevy Equinox that I bought that would barely move in drive and has no reverse movement. I noticed fluid leaking when I drove the car 6 city blocks to my house. I called a questionable mechanic about diagnosing my transmission issue. He came and checked the fluid level and said it was very low. He put fluid in the transmission and proceeded to put it in all the gears and told me it shifted fine and the transmission was good but had a leak that he said was probably the front pump or torque converter hub bushing leaking fluid. So assuming his knowledge was correct I understood the transmission didn't need to be replaced or rebuilt. 11 days later after I could finally get him to explain why it took so long to try to fix my car. He sends me a photo of something on the transmission and proceeds to tell me my transmission is trash. He said the picture shows a torque converter hub bushing that his words was it welded to the converter shaft and the inside of the transmission too. Is this possible to occur and does it mean the transmission can't be fixed

I have a question. I have a 2007 Chevy Equinox that I bought that would barely move in drive and has no reverse movement. I noticed fluid leaking when I drove the car 6 city blocks to my house. I called a questionable mechanic about diagnosing my transmission issue. He came and checked the fluid level and said it was very low. He put fluid in the transmission and proceeded to put it in all the gears and told me it shifted fine and the transmission was good but had a leak that he said was probably the front pump or torque converter hub bushing leaking fluid. So assuming his knowledge was correct I understood the transmission didn't need to be replaced or rebuilt. 11 days later after I could finally get him to explain why it took so long to try to fix my car. He sends me a photo of something on the transmission and proceeds to tell me my transmission is trash. He said the picture shows a torque converter hub bushing that his words was it welded to the converter shaft and the inside of the transmission too. Is this possible to occur and does it mean the transmission can't be fixed
The converter hub bushing is pressed into the pump of the transmission. If it is "welded to the converter shaft(hub) then usually the pump is damaged. Of course the transmission can be repaired. Your statement that it would barely move in drive and has no reverse movement, to me anyhow, would indicate that there could be considerable damage inside the unit. You didn't say if the transmission oil was burnt/discolored. To me, it needs to be overhauled.

They are know for that problem. Probably needs some hard parts inside. Try find a good used one. Kim
Eventually a teflon coated pump bushing was available. Depending on whose information you trust, GM had electrical grounding issues and the teflon bushing stopped this. I don't know if it's true or not, but it's an interesting theory.

I always run a ground cable from the tranny to the frame on any electrically controlled tranny. Saves a bunch of headaches later on. May not solve everyone but most of them. Kim

-
Back