converter or no converter

-

Vali68

Reaction score
hello all. When i get ready to pull my slant 6 out of my 68 valiant with the auto tranny, should i leave the torque converter in the tranny and just remove the bolts that attach it to the flex plate or just pull the motor with the converter attached to the flex plate? Which is easier and less messy?

Convertor left in the tranny is less messy. I like to pull the motor and tranny together because it is easier. I take a spray paint can lid and use it with good oil resistant tape on the tail housing to keep the oil from pouring out as I pull them.

ALWAYS take the converter out with the trans.
It saves the trans pump, seal and bushing a lot of possible damage.
(The same going in) ALWAYS put the converter in the trans, and then put it up to the motor.

So If I am just pulling the motor and leaving the tranny in the car, do i need to remove the converter or leave it in the tranny while it waits for the new motor?

From what i can tell, the motor that I am taking out and the motor I am putting in have used the same type tranny without any adapters or anything.
The motor casting taking out = 2463430-15.
The motor casting I am putting in = 2806830-8
from the chart below, they can be interchanged without much worry.

Attachments

• motors and tranny match.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 94
Ghetto junk yard motor pull can keep convertor on motor as youll destroy the seal most likely when the trans weight lets go off the hub. remove the convertor! Its 4 bolts, and makes it easier as the motor is shorter now and youll need every inch as its a long motor to start with.

-
Back