Convertible Top retainer

-

Rick C

Reaction score
Can anyone post a photo of the location for the two plastic lock retainers that lock the top down when it is folded in the well? Thanks.

Are you looking for info on a 65 mustang?

Need a bit more info...

Year?
Car?
Manual or power top?

I am not aware of any plastic retainers in 67 thru 69. Can you post a photo of the area you are referring to.

This is the retainer. My 71 Cuda had them but my 68 doesn't. I cannot figure out where they would attach.
Convertible top retainer.JPG

The part looks very familiar. But I think I have seen it on ebay a bunch.

The closest thing is the hook on the top dust cover that hooks to the top mechanism when the top is down and the cover is on.

16101548263784437476528155971982.jpg

Those are on manual top cars, as I understand it. Power top cars don't need a retainer.

Those are on manual top cars, as I understand it. Power top cars don't need a retainer.

My 64 is a manual top and they are attached to brackets. Definitely needed on a manual top otherwise it raises up partially on its own.

Who sells that MD8061 part? One of mine is broken.

My 64 is a manual top and they are attached to brackets. Definitely needed on a manual top otherwise it raises up partially on its own.

Who sells that MD8061 part? One of mine is broken.

If you buy that from Classic let me know how it works. It looks like the ones I got from Laysons and it did not catch well and it ended up flowing and deforming.

So you have a good one still? Can you take a photo of it? I just sent out a model to have a prototype of one for my '63. After a bit of testing and any changes I plan to get a few printed in nylon and see if they hold up. If that is a fail then @66vert can CNC machine them out of a nylon block. Keep us posted on if these work for you or not.

Jim

-
Back