Converting from a three speed manual to a 4 or 5 speed

-

Steve Williams

Reaction score
I have a 1972 Duster with a 318 and a three speed manual with a hurst floor shift. I am just starting this restoration. The engine is the original with matching numbers so I will hot rod it but keep the 318. I'm having trouble finding info on manual transmissions. Is there a 5 or 6 speed manual I can take out of something modern that will fit in my duster. The only options I have found is either an early Mopar 4 speed which I think will bolt right in or a very expensive Tremec 5 speed. I won't pay $4500 for the Tremec but I could live with a 4 speed. It just seems there should be a junk yard option since Mopar is still making a version of the 318. I think a modern Dodge Dakota has a 318 w/5 speed option. Will the Dakota tranny work? Any advice would be appreciated.

Original 3-speed stick cars are awesome & seldom seen anymore, I love driving mine just the way it is.

Any of the 833’s (early A, later 60’s-70’s, the overdrive version for the A/F Body will Bolt it with the appropriate bellhousing. Even B/E 833’s with the dual mounting can be used with a suitable bracket described elsewhere in this forum.

I was considering trying to locate a 92 or so to 96 Dakota with the AX15 5 speed to give me an overdrive but it seems they are about as common as hen’s teeth around my area. V8 /V6 versions are the ones to look for. Grab the bell, clutch linkage, driveshaft if you decide to go that route. I don’t know about using the 97-up Dak 5 speeds - never really got into researching them. Hope some of this helps!

Tremec TKO's are not a drop in. I put one in my GTS and you have to cut the floor, cut out part of cross member, build a new tunnel and part of the drivers side floor when the hump comes out as you don't need it. The Ford version of the McCLeod Muscle Car 5 speed may work, no one has done it yet that I know of. Passion 5 speed would be a drop in, if you like to wait to get one. I think some people have fit a Mustang 5.0 T5 but it still possibly requires some floor work and there are no drop in kits for it and they are only good to about 300 ft/lb of torque, they can be upgraded for more money. There is a Toyota 5 speed that fits a Dakota bell housing, that swap is documented. Richmond has some transmissions but these there is little install info on too. Drop ins are an 833 or 833 OD.

There's the 833 OD but the gear splits are kinda funny.

Truck like.

AX15 and NV3500 5 speeds have almost the same gear splits.

The 833 and 833 OD are closer to a drop in.

I've read about toyota supra 5 speeds as an option but don't have facts to share.

Tremic/TKO requires fabrication work and/or tunnel and/or frame cross member mods.

Any of the 833’s (early A, later 60’s-70’s, the overdrive version for the A/F Body will Bolt it with the appropriate bellhousing. Even B/E 833’s with the dual mounting can be used with a suitable bracket described elsewhere in this forum.

I was considering trying to locate a 92 or so to 96 Dakota with the AX15 5 speed to give me an overdrive but it seems they are about as common as hen’s teeth around my area. V8 /V6 versions are the ones to look for. Grab the bell, clutch linkage, driveshaft if you decide to go that route. I don’t know about using the 97-up Dak 5 speeds - never really got into researching them. Hope some of this helps!

Tremec TKO's are not a drop in. I put one in my GTS and you have to cut the floor, cut out part of cross member, build a new tunnel and part of the drivers side floor when the hump comes out as you don't need it. The Ford version of the McCLeod Muscle Car 5 speed may work, no one has done it yet that I know of. Passion 5 speed would be a drop in, if you like to wait to get one. I think some people have fit a Mustang 5.0 T5 but it still possibly requires some floor work and there are no drop in kits for it and they are only good to about 300 ft/lb of torque, they can be upgraded for more money. There is a Toyota 5 speed that fits a Dakota bell housing, that swap is documented. Richmond has some transmissions but these there is little install info on too. Drop ins are an 833 or 833 OD.

There's the 833 OD but the gear splits are kinda funny.

Truck like.

AX15 and NV3500 5 speeds have almost the same gear splits.

The 833 and 833 OD are closer to a drop in.

I've read about toyota supra 5 speeds as an option but don't have facts to share.

Tremic/TKO requires fabrication work and/or tunnel and/or frame cross member mods.

All great info guys. @Steve Williams, what's your mechanical ability and your shop capabilities? There's no magic here to do a swap like that.

-
Back