coolant coming out of exhaust manifold bolt hole

-

Kev’s66Fish

Reaction score
needing new exhaust manifold gaskets on a 318. I loosened the front most bolt, on the passenger side, and it started leaking coolant, so I quickly tightened it back up. Is this normal, or do I have a leak? Thanks.

needing new exhaust manifold gaskets on a 318. I loosened the front most bolt, on the passenger side, and it started leaking coolant, so I quickly tightened it back up. Is this normal, or do I have a leak? Thanks.
I pretty sure I have some factory studs if you need them.

l learned the same thing when doing my first early Hemi.... Gets your attention real fast!

Thank you. I just sealed the bolt that were there for now. In the future, if I go to headers instead, I might get those from you.
The factory studs dont work with headers
The header flange is very thin compared to factory manifolds, there is not enough thread on the stud
There are after market studs available for use with headers

The hole isn’t deep enough to run a set screw in, and get a bolt to proper depth also. Factory studs WILL work with headers, if you use the thick factory cup washer that was in that spot with the manifolds. I’ve done that with many cheap headers back in the day. I think I discovered how to make that work right after I pulled the end studs out to put headers on my 70 Duster in high school. At least it ain’t like a big block, where they All go into water!

The hole isn’t deep enough to run a set screw in, and get a bolt to proper depth also. Factory studs WILL work with headers, if you use the thick factory cup washer that was in that spot with the manifolds. I’ve done that with many cheap headers back in the day. I think I discovered how to make that work right after I pulled the end studs out to put headers on my 70 Duster in high school. At least it ain’t like a big block, where they All go into water!

I know you can't use studs with Hooker 5204 or 53030 headers. There isn't enough room to get the flange back far enough to go over the studs.

Interesting I just tried to reuse my old studs with my TTI headers and ran out of thread with the cup washer. Maybe they were not factory studs? who knows?

I know you can't use studs with Hooker 5204 or 53030 headers. There isn't enough room to get the flange back far enough to go over the studs.
I hear ya, I had to mount my TTI headers with the center bolts then install the after market studs thru the header flange. It was a ***** but it worked , no leaks after 500 miles.

I did forget to state that the headers I was doing that with were in a 73 340 Challenger. I’ve never tried it in an A or early A body, so you are probably right about that. If I remember right, I did have to fight it to get over the studs, and once I had the cup washer on and the nut tightened down, I sawed the stud off right behind the nut to prevent that fight next time. Worked like a charm after that. Appliance headers.....those were the days! :BangHead:

-
Back