Coolant Overflow Tank/Reservoir

-

KOZ45

Reaction score
From the suggestions of some, I found and bought a Hyundai Tiburon/Elantra coolant overflow tank and mounting bracket

It's going to be way too tall and I need to find something else that will work

I would like to have it mounted on the passenger side of the radiator/inner fender area

How many ounces does it actually need to hold? There are a billion options for tanks

1970 Duster with a 440

Suggestions?

I bought this stainless tank from Summit Racing. It has two mounting brackets built-in. I have it mounted to my fan shroud. It came with two tubes sticking out the bottom. One to hook up to the radiator and one for an overflow to the ground. The top of the overflow tube is about 3/4 of the way up the tank. I cut off the tube going to the radiator and installed a 6AN fitting into the bottom. This allowed me to run an aluminum line from the bottom of the tank to the radiator opening.(don't like the look of a lot of rubber hose)
DSC03203_zpsxmjm4t3c.jpg

DSC03202_zpsvqz6ek6r.jpg

The Hyundai tank is almost 16" long........going to be too tall

Looks like I have 10"-12" (max) of area from the lip to the top of the radiator

I could also mount a tank up on the inner fender area I guess?

Snapchat-486233747.jpg
Snapchat-845950210.jpg

I bought this stainless tank from Summit Racing. It has two mounting brackets built-in. I have it mounted to my fan shroud. It came with two tubes sticking out the bottom. One to hook up to the radiator and one for an overflow to the ground. The top of the overflow tube is about 3/4 of the way up the tank. I cut off the tube going to the radiator and installed a 6AN fitting into the bottom. This allowed me to run an aluminum line from the bottom of the tank to the radiator opening.(don't like the look of a lot of rubber hose)
View attachment 1715636003

View attachment 1715636004
Expensive little buzzard for what you get isn't it?...

Last edited:
Dorman said:
54002 is a non pressurized tank
54003 is a pressurized tank

Which would I need?

Dorman 603-001 (7.5" High x 4.25" Deep x 8.25" Wide ) is going to be a tad too large for the space

I made these dimensions on a piece of cardboard for the #603-001.......it would have to sit too high up and would not chance it with the hood

I would prefer to mount it on the radiator core support cross member

The Dorman #54002 is 7" High x 4" Deep x 6" Wide

I then made these dimensions on a piece of cardboard for the #54002...........fits about perfectly

I assume the NON pressurized tank will work, since the radiator has a pressurized cap?

I assume the NON pressurized tank will work, since the radiator has a pressurized cap?
You don't want one that is pressurised, it's mainly used as a catch can so it won't spew on the ground (antifreeze is pretty toxic! ).

Found one locally at an Autozone for $10

Pretty happy with it overall and I did not have to drill any holes to mount it

Snapchat-425675582.jpg
Snapchat-133192356.jpg

-
Back