Coolant Reserve System Radiator cap

-

73Dart340Sport

73dart340
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a coolant reserve system on my car. (73 Dart 340) I would like to get a coolant reserve system radiator cap. Does anyone have a source and/or a part number?

Thx

Yeah, just looked at a pic of my car and its the one with the two lines going in it. 73 used a unique one year reservoir.
Here is the kit with the bottle (E body). I cant seem to find the kit I bought with just the cap, hose, clamp. It is available out there somewhere. BTW, the 73 reservoir is not available new....only the cap and hose kit.
Fits 73 74 Challenger Cuda Barracuda E Body Radiator Overflow Bottle Kit NEW | eBay

Here is just the cap.
Fits 73 74 Cuda Challenger Roadrunner Charger Radiator Overflow Bottle Cap New | eBay
When I bought mine I found a kit with the cap, hose and clamp. The hose was the correct ribbed.

Last edited:
Thank you for your quick replies! I’m actually looking for the radiator cap for the “Coolant Reserve system“. It is slightly different than the standard radiator cap in that it has a seal configuration allows the fluid to flow in both directions. The picture I have is out of the 1973 Dodge Chassis manual.

C3BC0213-A960-4565-8631-884F0D9E5BC6.jpeg

Correct me if im wrong but dont all caps do this? I know early systems just puked on the ground but when they added the overflow bottle that was the whole point of it. It expands into the tank and draws it back in the radiator when it cools.

Correct me if im wrong but dont all caps do this? I know early systems just puked on the ground but when they added the overflow bottle that was the whole point of it. It expands into the tank and draws it back in the radiator when it cools.

I drove my car for decades with the bottle empty and serviced the radiator from the cap. Last year I bought the Dodge Chassis Manual from an online vendor. According to it there were two systems. The one you and I have has the coolant recovery system which allows the radiator to siphon fluid to the tank and return as needed. Supposedly this completely eliminated the puking fluid effect. According to the service manual the coolant reserve system is completely serviced at the plastic coolant tank eliminating ever having to open the radiator cap.

After replacing the radiator hoses this year I read the service manual and for the first time since I was 16 I filled the coolant in the tank to the 1 Qt mark as advertised. I do have a standard replacement radiator cap and I have noticed the coolant being syphoned out. However when the the radiator heats up with expansion it pukes the coolant. It also does not pass the function test in the manual.

The correct cap either has 2 rubber grommets or has the rubber grommet in a lower position allowing hot fluid to flow into the tank instead of on the ground.

I’m attaching photos of the manual including the picture of the cap.
image.jpg
image.jpg

There is only one line from rad to bottle so the cap either works or doesnt.
Cap doesnt control which hose coolant runs thru. Thats controled by where inside the bottle the lines open end is located.
Low for dump/pick up, higher for overflow/dumping on ground.
I'd swap the two lines on the overflow tank.
Later tanks have the "puke line" molded in so theres no confusing the two.

There is only one line from rad to bottle so the cap either works or doesnt.
Cap doesnt control which hose coolant runs thru. Thats controled by where inside the bottle the lines open end is located.
Low for dump/pick up, higher for overflow/dumping on ground.
I'd swap the two lines on the overflow tank.
Later tanks have the "puke line" molded in so theres no confusing the two.
One line goes from the radiator to the bottle and the other is the dump line from the bottle to the garage floor. The line to the radiator to the cap either feeds the radiator or transfers water back to the tank.

One line goes from the radiator to the bottle and the other is the dump line from the bottle to the garage floor. The line to the radiator to the cap either feeds the radiator or transfers water back to the tank.
right, and Jimacuda is saying the connection at the top of the overfill jug may need to be swapped

where the lines end underneath the overflow bottle cap/inside the bottle determines which is which.

Jimacuda is correct. I think the dual line was only 73 then it became molded into the bottle in 74.

take off the overflow/recovery bottle cap.
look at the two hoses coming down from the inside of the cap.
The "overflow/puke" hose should be much shorter than the ""recovery" hose.
Recovery hose should go to the bottom of the tank.
Puke hose should end well above your 1 qt. full line.

heres a later tank for a visual...

radiator line goes in at top and tube runs down to bottom (left side)
puke line has opening near top of bottle (right side)
100_6095.jpeg

-
Back