Cooling Fan replacement

-

DaveS

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

i have a 74'' Duster with a 318LA

my Flexfan is starting to fail because of age, the blades are starting to disintegrate after 48 years!

im looking for a replacement, doesnt have to be anything fancy

numbers i found on the fan are: 3462139 and below that 24654 and above the chrysler logo it says B73

any suggestions?

If you don't have A/C, AND
you're engine is stock;
just put anything on it. even a 4-blade slanty fan will work. It doesn't even have to be off a Mopar.

haha alright! i live in europe so getting parts can be a hassle sometimes.

Might as well look for what should be on there. Then settle for what you can find that fits if you have to.

Best will be one that has a nose and bolt holes that match the water pump, pulley, and spacer.
Yes some universal fans will fit. I used a generic metal flex fan to replace a Chrysler flex fan to complete about 1500 miles.
In fact the Chrysler flex fan that failed might have been the same as on your car. It looked like there had been a small stress crack where the thin blade riveted to the heavy center. That morning it became a full crack and half the blade flew into the battery.

Key things to know:
Can not use the fans made to bolt to clutches.
Measure the spacer to be sure there is room for deeper larger width blades.
Measure the clearances to the fan shroud, if there is one one, before attempting a larger diameter fan.

This is from '73 Dodge Chassis Manual and will give you a good idea of what to look for.
18" diameter, 7 blades, 2" wide. Also used on 225, 318, and 340 E, B and C-bodies.

upload_2021-7-14_9-52-50.png

This is from the '73 Dodge Parts Book.
It does not show the 5 blade flex fan on a 318 A-body, but that's what you have on there currently.*
upload_2021-7-14_10-17-48.png

V, L = Valiant, Dart
BJ = E-body Barracuda, Challenger
R,W = Satellite, Charger & Coronet
P,D= Plymouth, Dodge (full size)

1974 parts books indicates some changes in what was being used!
upload_2021-7-14_10-27-25.png

* Just to satisfy curiousity. here's the models/options that the '73 Dodge FSM shows using that flex fan
upload_2021-7-14_10-34-58.png

upload_2021-7-14_10-38-16.png

upload_2021-7-14_10-36-46.png

upload_2021-7-14_10-37-48.png

Last edited:
Northern Part of Flevoland! Countryside ;) im the only one for miles and miles around that has a Mopar, let alone an A-body

oh man, i got all excited when i read "northern" and i thought to myself (gezellig, nog een brabander) then when i got to flevoland i got a little disapointed

that is a cool part of the counrty though, all reclaimed sealand, right?

its been almost 20 years since i moved to the US, but even back then mopars were scarce

oh man, i got all excited when i read "northern" and i thought to myself (gezellig, nog een brabander) then when i got to flevoland i got a little disapointed

that is a cool part of the counrty though, all reclaimed sealand, right?

its been almost 20 years since i moved to the US, but even back then mopars were scarce

haha, jammer he :') and thats right, i live on the bottom of a lake, all reclaimed sea (about 230 sq mi)

bottom of a lake?
i seem to remember it being call the zuiderzee...but that was a while ago

either way, always nice to meet someone from the old country

-
Back