Cooling Issue

-
2 different size heater hose, if they were backwards you would have a hose to tight for the fitting and one to big for the fitting to fit on
2 different size heater hose, if they were backwards you would have a hose to tight for the fitting and one to big for the fitting to fit on

I was just being dumb. either way it wouldn't matter. (but yes I was wrong)

Mopowers, looks like you have a very clean setup, and I hope you find your problem quickly and cheaply. I have pretty much the same pain in the a$$ problem. I had to check my pulleys are the same dia. as yours. I am pretty much sure I have my problem licked, my fan still spins nicely after I shut off my engine hot. So I will try to find a good unit to install on the car. Not to change the subject, but liking your fuel pump, Holley- Carter looks to be clock-able? Need one over the stock unit I have, and like the fuel pressure gauge setup.

His cooling is fine once he gets moving, from what I understand. Building heat at idle is almost always a lack of airflow through the radiator.

And yet, that horse has been beat SLAP to DEATH in this thread and he still talks about removing the thermostat, and questions your fan clutch test method. Makes you just want to cut the computer off.

I did test the clutch. It works fine. Even called Hayden since it was a prototype of the new HD shorty clutch. I thought maybe something was off with it. But it works as designed.

And wouldn't the fact that the temp cycles between 190-220 at a constant cruise mean the thermostat is acting strange, regardless of the minor idle cooling issue?

If the water pump isn't at LEAST 1:1 with the crank it's turing TOO slow. And so it the FAN.

Speed up the water pump.

How many different diameter w/p and crank pulleys did Dodge make? The pulleys on it now are stock. Why wouldn't the stock fans spin the fan fast enough? I'm not trying to be a smartass, just asking cause I don't know. I'll look for a smaller water pump pulley or larger crank pulley.

Do the gutted stat test.Yours is sticking. Might as well gut that one.

In my stash,I have about 4 different fan pulleys and at least 2 different crank size pulleys,and a big box of spacers.
I have under drive on my 360 too, same size pulleys as you, and it's fine.

Stock stuff works perfect on stock powertrains for it's intended stock-type useage.

When we hotrod stuff, we have to be prepared to un-stock it. We mod the heads, the valve timing, the CRs, the ignition timing, and the fuel system. And we put hi-stalls,and performance rear gears in it. Sometimes we add 125 or more horsepower to it, and ask it to rev 1000 rpm higher.Making power adds heat. It is the heat that makes the power, the heat of altering the engine to burn more gas. More gas equals more heat. More heat equals more power. Mostly when you are in deep, but the inefficiency at low rpm of this now H.O. engine, means it is making heat there too.
Why would we expect the stock cooling system to work.

I can't remember if you stated your cam specs of CR yet, but the stock 340 cooling system is just enough for it's 268* cam, Cr, and TC. I think it can handle 1 or maybe 2 cam sizes and a 2800TC. After that, it needs upgrades. That system is basically a 318 A/C system. When the factory installed A/C in an A-body, they upgraded the rad size, the fan, and the pump.And that was just to handle the compressor and the condenser. So that gives you an idea of the thinking involved.
If you have a 230@050 and a 3000TC, The stock system is long ago inadequate. You are on the right track with the rad, and the 6-blade, and the shroud. You already stated that you have the anti-collapse spring in the lower hose, and plenty of timing. There are only three variables left; the stat, the pump, and the fan-clutch or fan.
The thermostat is by far the cheapest to replace, the easiest to test, and the most likely culprit.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you have a high flow pump the t-stat you have may not be able to open correctly and consistently. Put the High flow t-stat in for sure, cheapest thing to try.

just checked my pulleys and wp is 6 1/8" and crank is 7 3/8"

I found them on ebay that had been blasted and painted. The crank is a 3 groove mopar #3614377 and water pump is single groove mopar #3462825. I have Vintage air and power steering. Hope this helps, Joe

I had this problem with a set of March pulleys on my 499" in the GTS. Crank pulley was smaller that water pump making it an underdrive. I put steel pulleys back on it. The contour fans solved my heating problems on it. These other pulleys that I gave the part numbers for are on the small block in my GT "decoy".

I know someone mentioned this but I don't know if you responded. Do you have a seal between your hood and cowl? My car would act like yours. I have a fiberglass hood with no seal on it. I tried everything to cool my car. Aluminum rad, Brassworks water pump, transmission/oil cooler combo (transmission doesn't go through the rad), steel 7 blade fan with shroud and electric pusher fan. It would run 180 while driving but get into any traffic and it was instantly 200 to 230. I was troubleshooting this problem one day and thought that I had solved the problem. The car was idling in my driveway and the temperature was staying at about 170 degrees. Estatic that I thought I had solved the problem I put my hood back on, left the car running and went upstairs to clean up before I took the car for a test drive. When I came back down it was now running at 230 degrees. I was thinking what the heck is going on? I found that if I blocked the area under the lip of the hood with cardboard the cooling was a lot better. It seems that what happens is hot air is forced out from underneath the hood and then gets sucked back into the radiator where it gets warmed up. It again gets pushed back through from under the hood and then back through the radiator to be warmed up even further. You can see how this is going to work. Try putting a few rags between the car in the hood if you don't have a hood seal (I used air-conditioning foam rbber seal from Home Depot) This will at least allow you to test this Theory out in your driveway. Good luck
sucking air the wrong way can happen underneath the rad. too. look at the new cars, all of them have something underneath to stop this. I really like the front "spoilers by randy", but don`t think I could tow the car, if I needed to, w/ one on it.

The thermostat solved one issue. Now I just need to find the right combination of pulleys. The problem I'm encountering is, the smaller diameter w/p pulleys I'm finding on ebay are shorter than the one I've got now. I guess I can go that route, then simply install a spacer behind the crank pulley and alternator mount. A fixed fan would solve it as well.

Anyone know a good source for a single groove pulley set?

The thermostat solved one issue. Now I just need to find the right combination of pulleys. The problem I'm encountering is, the smaller diameter w/p pulleys I'm finding on ebay are shorter than the one I've got now. I guess I can go that route, then simply install a spacer behind the crank pulley and alternator mount. A fixed fan would solve it as well.

Anyone know a good source for a single groove pulley set?
440 source ??

If you don't want to spend the money on aluminum pulleys ( I wouldn't if you don't have to) just use a spacer behind the WP pulley. I do it all the time to get all the belts to line up.

For the smaller waterpump pulleys out there I've seen, I'd have to use a spacer behind the crank pulley, since the smaller water pump pulleys are shorter the the one I've got. This is likely the route I'll go if I can't find a longer crank pulley.

The picture in that vintage air link is the same pulley set-up I have now.

vintage.jpg

20170313_165458.jpg

those pulleys in the Vintage air link is the same numbers that I gave you in the earlier post with the dimensions.

Post #47 Went out and took some measurements yesterday. My WP pulley is about 6-7/8 OD and my cranks pulley is 6-1/2" OD, so obviously my WP pulley is larger than my crank pulley. I am done here..........

those pulleys in the Vintage air link is the same numbers that I gave you in the earlier post with the dimensions.

Yeah, I saw that. They're different than one the ones they have pictured. Go figure... You'd think they have a bit more information about their products available. I'm on the look out for one of those 3614377 w/p pulleys. I'll be able to use it with the front groove of the pulley I currently have. Thank you.

-
Back