Cooling system pressure

-

LarryB340

Reaction score
I will be running Evans Waterless Coolant in my 340, block has been dry since it came back from the machine shop, all new hoses, new radiator and heater core. My questions are...since this product has a boiling point of 375 degrees, is there any need to run the standard 16 pound cap? Will a lower pressure cap be easier on the system? What would you recommend ?

this is from there website

A different radiator/pressure cap is not required with Evans waterless coolant. A water-based coolant generally requires anywhere from a 7 to 15 psig pressure cap. Higher pressure raises the boiling point of water-based coolant. Evans waterless coolant expands slightly as it warms, creating pressure of 3–5 psig, and the existing cap does not need to be changed.

I will be running Evans Waterless Coolant in my 340, block has been dry since it came back from the machine shop, all new hoses, new radiator and heater core. My questions are...since this product has a boiling point of 375 degrees, is there any need to run the standard 16 pound cap? Will a lower pressure cap be easier on the system? What would you recommend ?

No need at all to change anything, and if I was going to change anything it might be to use a lighter cap and a good recovery system.
As mentioned though, they do say no change needed.

this is from there website

A different radiator/pressure cap is not required with Evans waterless coolant. A water-based coolant generally requires anywhere from a 7 to 15 psig pressure cap. Higher pressure raises the boiling point of water-based coolant. Evans waterless coolant expands slightly as it warms, creating pressure of 3–5 psig, and the existing cap does not need to be changed.
Thanks, I was looking at their website and must not have gotten to that part, was looking in FAQs.

No need at all to change anything, and if I was going to change anything it might be to use a lighter cap and a good recovery system.
As mentioned though, they do say no change needed.
Yeah a good recovery system would be a good idea a $46 a gallon. I just like the idea of no water, no corrosion. Thanks for your input!

My two cents... keep the 16lb cap. If you are out and about and have to do a side of the road repair and have to use water based coolant. Youll still be ok

After some interest on my part, I went and pulled the MSDS sheets on both the water-less fluid and standard Ethylene Glycol concentrate anti-freeze. From what I can tell The $42/gal is just EG coolant concentrate at 85% when most of the others range from 55%-90%. They all appear to have a salt and an anti foam chemical as well.
Someone want to explain the hype and the price tag?

My two cents... keep the 16lb cap. If you are out and about and have to do a side of the road repair and have to use water based coolant. Youll still be ok

That's actually a good thought now that I think about it more.
The part that stinks is if you do have to add water to it they (Evan's) say to remove all the coolant and heat it to a certain temp for a certain amount of time to remove any water and then put it back in after the repair.
You also have to go through getting all the water out of the block again.
That would suck.:D

All that added up to not feeling it was worth messing with.

-
Back