Cop cars on Island

-

trebor75

Reaction score
They had cool cop cars on Island in the 70's!

polisbilar island.jpg

We had 440 Plymouths, here in Pa., at that time. http://www.allpar.com/squads/collecting/photos/monaco.jpg
I came drifting over a hill one time in a 63 sport fury, on my way home in eastern okla., was doin about 95, no traffic, good 2 lane hi way. topped a little hill, there was an okla. hi way patrol setting in the bottom of the 2 hills. I didn`t let off or hit my brakes- I was already caught! These little hills (knolls) were just high enough u couldn`t see the bottom of them till u topped them. the patrolman was in a 68 fury, he was setting still , a right angle from the road, and he caught me before I got up the next hill. I had to go set in the cruiser w/ him while he wrote me up. That fury set there and shook the whole time like a big engine w/ a big cam, in it. I was young and noticed it, but didn`t have a clue.
To this day , I think that thing had a hemi in it. I`ve had two hemi`s, (ONE HAD A 785 LIFT CAM DYNAMICS ROLLER IN IT) and 383`s, and 1- 440, and my 505" wedge, none of them shook like that patrol car!???????? sorry for long post!

An acquaintance of mine used to be a VA state trooper back in the later 60s and 70s. He said the fastest trooper cars were the big Plymouths and Dodges with a 440. He said the speedometer was certified to 140MPH but he know for a fact they were capable to at least 160!

I became a trooper in 74 so as the new guy always got the 2 or 3 year old cars but all had 440. As a state agency we always specked out the cars so had sure grip, etc.

My favorite activity was setting at the top of the on ramp running VASCAR, a fancy name for a stop watch with a known distance marked on the shoulder, usually 0.1 miles so at the end you would have an average speed versus an absolute like radar. Was most fun to give the speeder a few seconds run and then nail the 440 through the gears, so much fun to speed legally. Oh yeah, they didn't stop for ****, brake fade and all. Couple times went right on by the violator, had to back up and pretend it was all planned.

-
Back