Cordoba caliper position swap?

-

Takoctopus

Reaction score
I have Cordoba front brakes on my 66 but the calipers face forward, now with a sway bar the calipers hit the aftermarket sway bar mounts.
I did read this Spindle Comparison and it says "some" of the calipers can be swapped from left to right to move the calipers to the rear. It looks like it might work but wanted to know if anybody here had experience doing it. Thanks

You have to switch the spindles side to side and make certain that the calipers end up with the bleeders at the highest point, and likely use different brake hoses. I see no downside. The ones on my 67 are 73/74 Duster/ Demon and they are swapped.

I’ve done it on my car and many others. Works great.

When you do, go get a set of 69 camaro front disc brake hoses. They are the right length and have the correct ends to work with swapping the calipers to the rear

I have Cordoba front brakes on my 66 but the calipers face forward, now with a sway bar the calipers hit the aftermarket sway bar mounts.
I did read this Spindle Comparison and it says "some" of the calipers can be swapped from left to right to move the calipers to the rear. It looks like it might work but wanted to know if anybody here had experience doing it. Thanks
The article is correct. Some calipers can be swapped from left to right. You have to look at your calipers to see if they'll swap or not. Or just try it and see. Some cannot be swapped since the hose routing becomes impossible. Mopar made a rear hung caliper for the FMJ cars that is perfect for your application. Since they were designed to be rear hung the bleeder and hose locations are correct.

I have most of the parts pulled off the spindles. I have the slider type brakes. Thankfully I have an Earls shop in town that can make me any brake line I need. I’m looking forward to the first roundabout after the brakes are moved and the sway bar is installed!!

Look at this picture then look at your calipers. The caliper on the left can be rear hung. The caliper on the right cannot be rear hung. All you have to do is look at your calipers to see if they can be rear hung or not.
6-22 (Large).jpg

Nobody has mentioned this yet so I'll go ahead and post a link to Doctor Diff's calipers. Doctor Diff is a smart guy who has watched dummies hang calipers wrong on their Mopars for the past 20 years so he tooled up a slider caliper that fits either way. He just had the vendor drill and tap both sides of the piston for the bleeder. That way Mopar dummies can't install the caliper with the bleeder on the bottom.
Mopar '73-'89 Slider Calipers

They are the right length and will bolt up, but i have not gotten that far as far as making them clip into the frame. I will go check and see what can be done to remedy this later this evening.

They are the right length and will bolt up, but i have not gotten that far as far as making them clip into the frame. I will go check and see what can be done to remedy this later this evening.
Yeah I had to dremel out the bracket so they could fit through. But haven’t figured out how to secure them yet.

I wonder how thin a camaro brake hose tab is. I did not get out there tonight. Can you post a pic of your Camaro hose end on the side where it goes to the tab on the frame.

What brand is the hose? @DoctorDiff has been recommending the ‘69 Camaro disk brake hoses for years, I know members here run them. Maybe a change in production?

If you have an A-body with the odd-ball "D" shaped hole in the mounting bracket, I'm not aware of any disc brake hose that will fit without modification.

If you have an A-body with a standard star shaped hole, any standard hose including the Camaro version will fit.

Dont forget, whatever you do, the bleeder screw needs to be at the top otherwise you will never get the air out of the system. I say this, because some people forget that part.

-
Back