Core support "Blackout"

-

Rbob

Reaction score
Who has pics of the core support with correct blackout? Pretty sure most A bodies are similar, this one is a 67 Cuda.

Also, the original front valance panel was blacked out below the bumper on the lower opening recess's. Can someone verify this?

Thanks in advance.

Rbob

No those 2 little filler areas of the lower valance were not blacked.
I can get a pic of a core support tomarrow but basicly what shows through the grilles is all they painted. No tape lines, etc..

Hope this helps. I am not sure it is original.

IMG_6287 copy.jpg

Is this what you mean? I believe that they were sprayed on by a man in the pit as the car came down the line. At least that's what I've been told.

D0004.jpg

D0004.jpg

^^ x2. My resto guy said the same thing, he said that they were usually drunk or stoned and didnt do a pretty job!!LOL

not drunk, maybe a little high from his paint fumes. Walking backward painting a car comming right at him and running out of hose. LOL
Sounds more like a bad dream than a job description.

I had the entire radiator core support painted satin black. There's a lot of openings in a second generation Barracuda grille..... I painted everything.
SANY0041-vi.jpg

SANY0005-vi.jpg

one thing I hate to see is a radiator support painted body color (unless it is black)

It really takes away from the look of the front end seeing the color behind the grill

My cars radiator support is paint the dark blue as the rest of the trim on my car. But he didn't paint the lower part of the radiator surround. I ended up painting it black cause it looked like crap white.

If you are looking for 100 point show it needs to be sloppy correct. If you are making it look good, paint the whole front black so there is no way you see body color behind the grill or below the bumper / front valance

Like this? I left a post on the Mopar Muscle website but Randy hasn't responded yet.

0510_01z+1967_Plymouth_Valiant+White_Body_Driver_Side_Front_View.jpg

Pntastar69,

That looks spectacular! Found a pic with original blackout. I thought I took lots of photos but I should have taken more.

DSC02117.jpg

Found another pic of core support, mine was not painted on the bottom of the support but I agree it looks better. The black does not cover the latch reinforcement so I may not cover that part fully.
MVC-386S.jpg

Thanks for all your replies

Like this? I left a post on the Mopar Muscle website but Randy hasn't responded yet.

View attachment 141982
Man I remember along as they built that car I loved it so much. Then they went and messed it up buy cutting a hole in the hood and supercharging it if I remember correctly. Randy also did that little red 73 dart sport loved that car too.

I know this is an old post but the information is still valid.

This is my original valance (1967) that had the inserts painted black, I know my Grandfather (original owner) didn't paint them.
2001-06-23_048.jpg

On my car when the blackout was done there was over-spray onto the fender on the right side.
1990-06-01_021.jpg
1990-06-01_022.jpg

On mine the latch panel had no blackout on it and the rest was hit and miss.
You can also see how far the factory undercoating came up the floor pan (I removed it back to the spot weld joint)
2001-06-23_025.jpg
2001-06-23_039.jpg
2001-06-23_040.jpg

The blackout behind the grill is something that probably varied widely between cars.

Valance should have the inserts painted (at least in '67) I can see how some cars may have been missed.

Alan

The valence areas 67-69 are blacked as well. Not overley but sprayed none the less. Here is how The resto shop redid my core and how I did the valence. That little on on valence really changes how the front is framed and looks when finished.

92DEAF5B-19B4-4AB0-AA53-9CE081453F06.jpeg

487BA98E-37FC-4E80-9D06-A6EE9C4D80AE.jpeg

Last edited:
I knew a guy who did the core support paint back in the day. He said it was painted from a pit and they used a nozzle on a hose kind of like a weed sprayer with water thin flat black paint. It was a nasty and boring job so any time someone called in sick or other reason to be gone the pit painters were the first to fill the missing position which left one person doing double duty in the paint pit. That is why so many were sloppy. One guy had to do twice as many cars. Sometimes both pit painters would upgrade for a day and those cars could have gone through with no core support paint, if there wasn't a newby to fill in.

-
Back