Core value?

-

Cuda416

Reaction score
When it rains it pours i guess.

Recently found myself a JGC SRT8 6.1L from manifold to pan with a spun rod bearing for a smoking deal. My eldest works at a dodge dealership which will be replacing a 2018 6.4L out of a scat pack as a warranty job due to a spun rod bearing. I might be able to procure the long block by simply covering the core charge.

I'm curious what to expect the core charge on this motor to be for either the short block or long block.

it's not a done deal and still sort of a crap shoot, but if I can snag it, I will.

Thanks

Last edited:
I think the damage done would dictate price. A windowed block would have lesser value as a core then just a spun bearing or blown head gasket.

I think the damage done would dictate price. A windowed block would have lesser value as a core then just a spun bearing or blown head gasket.

Yeah sorry, I forgot to mention this one spun a bearing as well. That's it.

I just bought a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT engine with a misfire on cylinder 7 as a long block core for 850.00 but got a 2012 5.7 Jeep Grand Cherokee complete engine with a rod knock for a trade for a pair of 06 heads with fresh valve job. I thought it was a good deal so I went for it.

Well, look at the new price. That should give you some idea as to core price.

In the old days, the factory rep would come by and pound a hole in the side of the block to be sure it was garbage.

Got the word today the 6.4 is mine if I want it. I want it. Should be picking it up later on today.

Anyone have a good source for a rebuild kit?

Engine spun a bearing, surprise... other that that, it's basically intact so a standard rebuild it likely will be.

In the old days, the factory rep would come by and pound a hole in the side of the block to be sure it was garbage.

Yeah, that's what was supposed to happen but many times it was a nudge, nudge, wink, wink deal and the block lived on. :lol:

I just sold a 6.1 that spun 7 and 8 rod bearings. I got $2,000 for it. I had about 20 people on the Hemi Facebook group telling me that I was on drugs, I was retarded, effing stupid, etc for asking that much. They all claimed that they get 6.1's from core suppliers for $500-1000 "all day long". I argued with them for awhile before ignoring them.

A few engine builders jumped in and asked where those cores were at for those prices. They said the 5.7's were cheap and easy to get. The 6.1's and 6.4's were harder to find and about $1500-$2500 depending on what was wrong with them.

The **** talkers never did show any proof of the cheap cores. And after snooping on several of their Facebook pages, most of them had V6 or 5.7 hemi cars... they know nothing about the bigger engines.

I just sold a 6.1 that spun 7 and 8 rod bearings. I got $2,000 for it. I had about 20 people on the Hemi Facebook group telling me that I was on drugs, I was retarded, effing stupid, etc for asking that much. They all claimed that they get 6.1's from core suppliers for $500-1000 "all day long". I argued with them for awhile before ignoring them.

A few engine builders jumped in and asked where those cores were at for those prices. They said the 5.7's were cheap and easy to get. The 6.1's and 6.4's were harder to find and about $1500-$2500 depending on what was wrong with them.

The **** talkers never did show any proof of the cheap cores. And after snooping on several of their Facebook pages, most of them had V6 or 5.7 hemi cars... they know nothing about the bigger engines.

**** talkers are just that, **** talkers. It's a product of social media and the demented idea that when other **** talkers "agree with them" by bravely clicking on "like", that somehow their ATDC opinion is validated. They're hoping to "shame" people into taking a lower price so they can get a deal or just be arseholes... Haha. I pay no heed to them... Funny how they all know where to get them yet apparently don't have any?

-
Back