Correct 8.75 gear oil

-
Originally it had 80/90 I would bet. Dr Diff sells the Ford branded friction modifier. It must be good if he recommends it.

An 80W-90 with a GL-5 rating will do well. I don't know what brands you have available to you in Montevideo, but some companies sell 80W-90 with the limited slip additive already blended in the oil. If available to you, this would be my first choice.

The chemistry for making gear oil and limited slip friction modifier additive is well established. Any brand you buy will be very similar to any other. Rather than trying to find the best, I'd advise looking for the best price and most readily available.

Are you really in Uruguay?
I would recommend any regular 85-90 weight gear oil you can find ( NOT synthetic!) that has a limited slip additive in it.
IF you can get it, the Motorcraft friction modifier, (Ford dealer) is the preferred stuff.
Your 69 should be a clutch style sure grip, a little more picky about gear oil than the cone, but stronger and preferred over the later cone type.

Are you really in Uruguay?
I would recommend any regular 85-90 weight gear oil you can find ( NOT synthetic!) that has a limited slip additive in it.
IF you can get it, the Motorcraft friction modifier, (Ford dealer) is the preferred stuff.
Your 69 should be a clutch style sure grip, a little more picky about gear oil than the cone, but stronger and preferred over the later cone type.
No Montevideo Minnesota

No Montevideo Minnesota
I thought you were in South America. :usflag:

This would be my first choice. Inexpensive (relatively), mineral based, additive already blended in, available today at O'Reilly's on Highway 7 East. If you get clutch chatter, add very small amounts of LS additive until it goes away. O'Reilly's shows that in stock, too, but it's very likely you won't need it.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...r-oil-80w-90-1-quart/cas0/8090?q=80w-90&pos=8

Originally it had 80/90 I would bet. Dr Diff sells the Ford branded friction modifier. It must be good if he recommends it.

Screenshot_20220618-195819_Firefox.jpg

No Montevideo Minnesota
Okay, that's easier! My advice stands. Dino oil, Motorcraft additive, NO SYNTHETIC.
Edit: i had a buddy, since passed, who owned his own rear-end shop. Would NOT use synthetic, used nothing but Torco, bought it by the pallet load.
I like the stuff s'cuder recommended too.

Last edited:
I've always wondered why people recommend the Ford additive
When Mopar has their own?
I'm sure it's similar/same but why not use Mopar in your Mopar?
Just saying...
I think it is a matter of recommending what we know works, from experience. Versus recommending something simply because the brand name matches.
I suspect the Mopar stuff works fine, I KNOW the Motorcraft stuff does.
Lots of Ford and Mopar guys used GM eos, (before they changed the formula.....)

A question for all you that have done this a few times,
How much Friction Modifier do you use? Service Manual calls for 2 pints of lubricant, of course I find Lucas in a 1 quart bottle & FM in 4oz. Do I use the full 4oz, the bring the oil to the hole?

How much Friction Modifier do you use? Service Manual calls for 2 pints of lubricant, of course I find Lucas in a 1 quart bottle & FM in 4oz. Do I use the full 4oz, the bring the oil to the hole?
That's what I would do. (ONLY two pints? What rear?)

Fill to the hole. Lucas says it is ready for limited slip, but that would be my last choice. Advance Auto is in Chesapeake. See if they have Valvoline or Castrol 80W-90with LS additive already blended in. The stores near me have it. Try that first. If you get clutch chatter out of your rear end, add a very small amount of additive. Like 1/2 an ounce. This is a case of where the right amount is necessary, but too much is no good.

80w90 non synthetic plus the stuff in post #8.

Okay, that's easier! My advice stands. Dino oil, Motorcraft additive, NO SYNTHETIC.
Edit: i had a buddy, since passed, who owned his own rear-end shop. Would NOT use synthetic, used nothing but Torco, bought it by the pallet load.
I like the stuff s'cuder recommended too.

Isn’t that Torco a GL-6 oil?? I don’t use mineral oil. Only synthetic. I know the Torco synthetic is GL-6 for sure.

-
Back