Correct damper for Internally balanced 5.9?

-

Justin Angle

Reaction score
So I'm having a 5.9 being built for my duster. I had Keith Black flat top pistons installed with Scat I beam rods and they went ahead and the shop went ahead and balanced the motor internally. The motor is almost ready for the dyno but I just need a damper and a few other things. From what I understand I now need a 5.2 magnum damper instead of a 5.9 since its now internally balanced right? I'm almost certain this is the one I need but just wanted to double check(link below)

Pro Products Street Dampener for Small Block Mopar

We estimate the motor is going to make around 450hp. Do you think this damper is worth it or would just a 5.2 damper work off of a truck or durango be fine? Thanks in advance

That balancer will work...or just use any non weighted balancer........

I used the same balancer without the weights for my 5.9 magnum that I stroked internally balanced 408, no issues. Rod

IMG_4799.JPG

So I'm having a 5.9 being built for my duster. I had Keith Black flat top pistons installed with Scat I beam rods and they went ahead and the shop went ahead and balanced the motor internally. The motor is almost ready for the dyno but I just need a damper and a few other things. From what I understand I now need a 5.2 magnum damper instead of a 5.9 since its now internally balanced right? I'm almost certain this is the one I need but just wanted to double check(link below)

Pro Products Street Dampener for Small Block Mopar

We estimate the motor is going to make around 450hp. Do you think this damper is worth it or would just a 5.2 damper work off of a truck or durango be fine? Thanks in advance

I ran this Pro Products dampener on my 340 and the rubber failed after a few years. The Jegs piece recommeded looks like a better piece. I pulled my 45 year old dampener off the shelf, installed a speedi sleeve and have no problems now. If you are going to run high rpm get a good one.

Was there weight added to the crank? This question is for all who have done it. I talked to a reputable source, who told me "no weight and run a stock internal balance damper" He said he has done 5 of them no issues. Just double checking??

Went they balanced the motor did they give you a copy of the worksheet they used to balance it?

No I haven't stopped by the shop since they did that but I'll have check into that.. also I just went with the Jegs damper...glad I'm aware of the strength of the Pro products one now. Thanks for the help

You need at least that good of a balancer for 450 hp.

-
Back