correct rear stripe for a 1972 340 demon??

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
All the ads say 71-72 demon. But I understand that there is an actual difference between the two years regarding the rear tailpanel stripes and emblem. Does anyone here have a picture or an explanation of what the difference is and what is the correct for 72 340 demon?

I thought the tail panel stripes were the same on both years, but the decal is different from 71-72.

Interested in the replies also...

The 71 tail panel stripe had 340 under the Demon symbol and 72 had 340 to the right of the Demon symbol. The Symbols were slightly different and the 340 font was different too.

1971 Demon.JPG

1972 Demon.jpg

The 71 tail panel stripe had 340 under the Demon symbol and 72 had 340 to the right of the Demon symbol. The Symbols were slightly different and the 340 font was different too.

View attachment 1715154907

View attachment 1715154910
OK. Got it. But here is my concern. The Demon name on the 72 was placed on top of the black vinyl tab which allows it to sit completely on top of the underneath black stripe. But the 340 spans both the upper and lower stripes as well as the center section which is directly on the painted surface. Am I overthinking this, or will the fact that the 340 label goes from black stripe to paint and then back to black stripe create a slight void where stripe meets paint for water to get into causing 340 decal to fail?? Since this was the last year of the Demon, I am thinking failures would not get corrected in the next year, because there was no next year?? Anybody had any issues with this?? If I place my decals as the 71 shows, both the name and 340 will be 100% on the underneath black vinyl. Isn't that a better safer build??

OK. Got it. But here is my concern. The Demon name on the 72 was placed on top of the black vinyl tab which allows it to sit completely on top of the underneath black stripe. But the 340 spans both the upper and lower stripes as well as the center section which is directly on the painted surface. Am I overthinking this, or will the fact that the 340 label goes from black stripe to paint and then back to black stripe create a slight void where stripe meets paint for water to get into causing 340 decal to fail?? Since this was the last year of the Demon, I am thinking failures would not get corrected in the next year, because there was no next year?? Anybody had any issues with this?? If I place my decals as the 71 shows, both the name and 340 will be 100% on the underneath black vinyl. Isn't that a better safer build??
You are correct about the vinyl covering the stripe, the paint and back to the stripe... if not installed correctly there could be an air gap where the vinyl steps down and back up. I've been in the the sign and vinyl graphics business for a coupLe decades so I should be able to offer some installation tips that will help. However... I am heading out the door right now and I'll add some notes on installation later tonight.

You are correct about the vinyl covering the stripe, the paint and back to the stripe... if not installed correctly there could be an air gap where the vinyl steps down and back up. I've been in the the sign and vinyl graphics business for a coupLe decades so I should be able to offer some installation tips that will help. However... I am heading out the door right now and I'll add some notes on installation later tonight.
Great. My other issue is this. My stripe kit for the rear has that small panel which drops down to connect the upper stripe to the lower stripe which is where I am assuming I suppose to place the Demon name with the little devil art. Now, that drop down black panel is closer to the right tail light so that if I try and place the 340 in line and right next to it, the 340 would actually go into the tail light area?? If I cut the 340 away from the decal and separate it, I can then move it over to the left and I would have to place the 3 under the letter M in the Demon in order to fit it?? This leads me to believe that the 340 is suppose to be installed directly on the lower stripe and moved over to the left so that the 3 is directly under the M?? Otherwise it does not fit?? Any other ideas on this??

Great. My other issue is this. My stripe kit for the rear has that small panel which drops down to connect the upper stripe to the lower stripe which is where I am assuming I suppose to place the Demon name with the little devil art. Now, that drop down black panel is closer to the right tail light so that if I try and place the 340 in line and right next to it, the 340 would actually go into the tail light area?? If I cut the 340 away from the decal and separate it, I can then move it over to the left and I would have to place the 3 under the letter M in the Demon in order to fit it?? This leads me to believe that the 340 is suppose to be installed directly on the lower stripe and moved over to the left so that the 3 is directly under the M?? Otherwise it does not fit?? Any other ideas on this??
It might help if you post some pictures of all the vinyl you have. Where did you order it from? There are two common methods for installing. Based on what you have describbed so far, I would recommend a wet application which will allow you time to move and align the graphic into place. I can provide more details on your specific install once I see how the graphic kit is layed out.

-
Back