Cost and special parts to turbo

-

Dustin The PcP

Reaction score
I am thinking about putting a turbo on my 318, and I can fabricate all the piping and exhaust, but my only question is, what special parts would I need.

Would I need a certain type of carb or would any type work...?

Or any links to something I might need to read would be great.

I have some moderate experience with turbos, been around a 11 second SRT-4 for years, until this past April when I lost my brother due to an accident may he rest in peace. But I helped with everything on the car from stock to what it was.

I am thinking about putting a turbo on my 318, and I can fabricate all the piping and exhaust, but my only question is, what special parts would I need.

Would I need a certain type of carb or would any type work...?

Special parts are needed when the boost level exceeds a certain amount, depending on the fuel you plan to run.

When enough boost is added, the cylinder pressures that result are capable of lifting the heads off the gaskets, or creating detonaton, which is detrimental to engine life.

You could probably turbo a stock 318 with up to about 6 or 7 pounds of boost and if you added an alcohol injector to control detonation, and kept a close watch on your ignition timing, I'd venture a guess that you would be pretty safe to use 93-octane gas and not suffer any detonation. You could probably pick up 70 or 80 flywheel horsepower that way, but I'm just guessing.

More boost would make more power, of course, but at a price...

If you want to add much more horsepower than that to your 318, it wouldn't be HARD to do, but this is where forged pistons and rods are necessary, along with special cylinder sealing techniques and unusual fuel systems to deal with the higher demands that significant boost brings.

The nice thing is, you can spend as much or as little as you want. Your e.t. slip will reflect how much lighter your wallet got, during the build.

There's an old, old, maxim: "Speed costs money; how fast do you want to go???"

It was never more true than in turbocharging....

You pays your money, and you takes your choice!!!Good luck in whatever you choose!

Sorry to hear about your brother; I lost mine in 2009... I can relate.

Bill

I wouldn't be looking to add a lot of boost, just like you said 7~8 would be what I would want to run.

Even with that low boost, you'll still need a modified blow thru carb and a boost referenced fuel supply,

But, even 7 pounds of boost makes a 225 the equivalent of a 330 cid engine... a nice pick me up....:cheers:

Even with that low boost, you'll still need a modified blow thru carb and a boost referenced fuel supply,

But, even 7 pounds of boost makes a 225 the equivalent of a 330 cid engine... a nice pick me up....:cheers:

That wouldn't cost an arm and a leg though I am assuming?

Man, I have been researching forced induction non stop for the last 4 weeks learning everything I can. The one thing I will tell you is its not cheap, but seems to be the best bang for the buck, and there are not many mopars out there with turbo.

I was lucky on my fuel system I bought it brand new off another FABO member for half price with fittings, but from what I have found a quality fuel system runs about 850-1000 for set up. The carb depends on if you are converting one to Blow Thru or buying one. I have seen the Demon (Barry Grant) on ebay for about $500 new for a 550cfm and 650cfm Blow thru. I think if you shop smart and be patient on deals, can weld your headers and exhaust you can do it under $4000. Theres a lot of nickel and diming.

Man, I have been researching forced induction non stop for the last 4 weeks learning everything I can. The one thing I will tell you is its not cheap, but seems to be the best bang for the buck, and there are not many mopars out there with turbo.

I was lucky on my fuel system I bought it brand new off another FABO member for half price with fittings, but from what I have found a quality fuel system runs about 850-1000 for set up. The carb depends on if you are converting one to Blow Thru or buying one. I have seen the Demon (Barry Grant) on ebay for about $500 new for a 550cfm and 650cfm Blow thru. I think if you shop smart and be patient on deals, can weld your headers and exhaust you can do it under $4000. Theres a lot of nickel and diming.

I am at $3800 in parts alone in my S480 build. Still waiting on the cost of machine work like clean, magna flux, blueprint, balance and fitting the girdle. Pistons were close to $900 for Diamond with rings. Rods were a tick under $400 and still waiting on the factory forged crank to get turned.

You can review my thread "Turbo 383 in a A-body Barracuda" for a list of parts I have purchased. I am a "Bargain" shopper so I got alot of new parts cheap!!

its not cheap, otherwise everyone would be doing it. I know I would lol

better take out a loan....

not just on parts but for when you break something..

I'm doing a /6 turbo build right now and yes its costing me some loot but I'm also trying to do it right the first time when its all said and done ill have about 1000 in electrical components and sensors and that's not including the turbo and the related parts
I'm getting ready to start a new thread on my build this week I just haven't had the time
Aaron

I'm doing a /6 turbo build right now and yes its costing me some loot but I'm also trying to do it right the first time when its all said and done ill have about 1000 in electrical components and sensors and that's not including the turbo and the related parts
I'm getting ready to start a new thread on my build this week I just haven't had the time
Aaron

Yes Please do make that thread Aaron, im sure everyone would love to see it.

I am at $3800 in parts alone in my S480 build. Still waiting on the cost of machine work like clean, magna flux, blueprint, balance and fitting the girdle. Pistons were close to $900 for Diamond with rings. Rods were a tick under $400 and still waiting on the factory forged crank to get turned.

You can review my thread "Turbo 383 in a A-body Barracuda" for a list of parts I have purchased. I am a "Bargain" shopper so I got alot of new parts cheap!!

I was strickly talking turbo not a full rebuild like you are doing. I would agree the best way would be a full rebuilds with rods, pistons, machine work, propper cam. that would be the best way which is going to cost more than just the boost referenced fuel system, carb, intercooler, turbo, BOV, and exhaust. But I think if he just wnated to turbo the car with low boost (6 psi maybe 7) he could get away with about 4 g's until it needed a full rebuild a little bit down the road/ But also depends how its driven and if you're turboing it you probably are not soft on it.

by the way look at CUUDAK's threat its great. I have read it about three times.

I already have a multitude of intercoolers, BOV's, and all the piping I would need. They only parts I would have to buy is the turbo itself, and the carb from what I understand. With minimum boost I am assuming that is all I would need? I can get parts for dirt cheap I know a bunch of people in the world of turbos, who are always selling and trading stuff for cheap. I might even be able to get some of what I need for a little bit of labor.

I was strickly talking turbo not a full rebuild like you are doing. I would agree the best way would be a full rebuilds with rods, pistons, machine work, propper cam. that would be the best way which is going to cost more than just the boost referenced fuel system, carb, intercooler, turbo, BOV, and exhaust. But I think if he just wnated to turbo the car with low boost (6 psi maybe 7) he could get away with about 4 g's until it needed a full rebuild a little bit down the road/ But also depends how its driven and if you're turboing it you probably are not soft on it.

by the way look at CUUDAK's threat its great. I have read it about three times.

Here is a GOOD start!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-T...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564193057f

Everything you will need except the Hot side. I think this would be cost effective and decent for a Budget build. All you would need is a set of headers, a T4 flange, some 2.5" exhaust piping, whatever size the downpipe is and away you go!

If your interested I have my hotside, coldside, fuel system and turbo for sale.
I am trying to save up for body work and paint. Will probably turbo it again, just have to get a few other things finished on the car first.

PM me for info.

Link to my build thread. Should give you an idea of what it takes to build a turbo system on a Dart.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=49548

A lot of carb'd blow through turbo and supercharger systems place the entire carb in a box that is pressurized. By doing it this way you do not need a special carb, even vacuum secondary carbs will work in this type of system. For the fuel system all you need to do is get a fuel pump that you can put a fitting on the vent side of the diaphragm and attach it to the boost box the carb is in.

A lot of carb'd blow through turbo and supercharger systems place the entire carb in a box that is pressurized. By doing it this way you do not need a special carb, even vacuum secondary carbs will work in this type of system. For the fuel system all you need to do is get a fuel pump that you can put a fitting on the vent side of the diaphragm and attach it to the boost box the carb is in.

The fuel system is a little more involved then that.
Your going to need to know your end HP/TQ goals. Once you know how many lbs/hr you need, then you can base the rest of the fuel system off that.

Yes it can work. Just make sure its sized right for your application.

-
Back